Turn Signal Flasher Relay

TOMEWRIGHT
  • 2000 BUICK CENTURY
I am fairly certain that the reason my turn signals do not work (intermittently) on my 2000 Buick Century, is that the flasher/relay needs to be replaced. However, I am having a hard time actually finding or getting to it to replace it.
Some sources have said it is located on the inside of the drivers side dash access panel on the very end of the dash that you see when you open the drivers side front door. Your sources tell me that you cannot remove that panel, unlike the similar fuse box cover panel on the passenger side. Now I cannot figure out quite how to get up inside that area of the car to try and get my eyes and hands on the flasher/relay to remove and replace it. What is the EXACT procedure to get access to that area? There is a fibrous carpet colored panel covering that general area. But I can't quite even figure out how to remove that without damaging the retaining plastic things holding it in place. Please give me the best description you can to open that area up and be able to access and change that flasher/relay unit. Thank you
Friday, November 6th, 2015 AT 1:25 PM

Check out the diagrams (Below)

Please let us know if you need anything else to get the problem fixed.

-1
Friday, November 6th, 2015 AT 6:30 PM
TOMEWRIGHT
Thank you very much!
Tom
+1
Friday, November 6th, 2015 AT 7:51 PM
ALTHOUGH I'M A JEEP GUY, I CAN STILL RESEARCH PRODEMAND FOR STUFF

I'LL BE GLAD TO TRY TO LOOK FOR ANYTHING ELSE YOU MIGHT NEED, SHOULD YOU NEED IT. JUST RETURN HERE, I'LL GIVE IT MY BEST SHOT.

Friday, November 6th, 2015 AT 8:27 PM
TOMEWRIGHT
This is kind of fun and interesting having an actual forum to discuss this sort of thing. Ok, well, I went to the Buick dealer to see about getting this fixed. That part we are talking about is only $19.00. When I asked them what the labor to replace it would be, in the event I couldn't get to it myself, which you guys seem to have solved for me, they told me the labor would be $130.00 because the book was telling them they needed to pull the steering wheel to get to it. That is pretty obviously not the case from the info you have shown me here.

I left there deciding to wait to buy the part until I could figure out from you guys if I really could get to it myself. Seems I can, but here is where it gets interesting. The turn signals stopped working and no flasher blinking about a week ago. It would work for about the first 20 minutes of driving then stop working each day. Yesterday, it did not work at all even on first start up of the day. So, after stopping at the dealer and getting that info, I decided to try one more little test to test the flasher unit. I turned on the emergency flashers. Lo and behold, not only did the emergency flasher start flashing just fine, much to my surprise, ALSO the turn signals started working just fine too and worked just fine for the rest of driving around town with several stops for over an hour and never stopped working again. What do you aces think about all that? I'm really curious. Guess we will see what happens next. If the turn signals stop working again, of course I will turn on the emergency flashers and see if I can repeat the repair hack!
Tom
+1
Friday, November 6th, 2015 AT 9:00 PM
BECKY C
  • 2000 BUICK CENTURY
I had a new battery put in the car. The next day the washer pump would not work, then the right rear turn signal quit working. Have had new fuses, new bulbs and a new washer pump. Still nothing works. The front turn signal comes on but blinks fast. No one can seem to fix the problem. I have had it to three shops. All they can do is sratch their heads and give me some off the wall BS and charge me more money. Can you give me a clue? Also where is the flasher located in my car?
Wednesday, October 31st, 2018 AT 6:46 PM (Merged)
The flasher for the turn/hazard lights is located below left side of dash. About the turn signal problem you need to have the turn and hazard switch tested thoroughly the turn/brake lights go thru this switch before it goes to the lights
ROBFROMABOVE
  • 2000 BUICK CENTURY
Just recently the right turn signal, when activated, "clicks" twice as fast. When I went to inspect all of the lights, I noticed that the rear right turn signal does not activate, but the front does. On my model of car, the brake light and turn signal are the same, and the brake light -is- functioning. So the bulb isn't out, and I looked at the instruction manual and there doesn't appear to be a fuse for specific turn signals, so what could be the problem? Is there a solenoid somewhere in the wiring that activates the turn signal that's blown?
DOCFIXIT
First brake and turn are same bulb but it has two fillements so check bulb see if a fillement it burnt out.
-1
I have to check that all turn signal bulbs glow, front and back. Then, I would check the flasher.
DARREN0007
  • 2002 BUICK CENTURY
Symptoms: the front left turn signal comes on but does not flash (the rear signal and dash indicator flash quickly) and when I turn the hazard lights on the left front does not come on at all others flash normally including left rear.

All bulbs have been changed. Fuse is fine. Changed the combination flasher/turn signal module under the dash. Traced the wiring from front left to the fuse box mounted in engine and all looks okay.

Where do I look next?
Check to make sure the ground is making good contact or the connections are good. If this car was in a wreck recently body shops are known for haphazard electrical repairs.