Turn Signal Flasher Relay

TOMEWRIGHT
  • 2000 BUICK CENTURY
I am fairly certain that the reason my turn signals do not work (intermittently) on my 2000 Buick Century, is that the flasher/relay needs to be replaced. However, I am having a hard time actually finding or getting to it to replace it.
Some sources have said it is located on the inside of the drivers side dash access panel on the very end of the dash that you see when you open the drivers side front door. Your sources tell me that you cannot remove that panel, unlike the similar fuse box cover panel on the passenger side. Now I cannot figure out quite how to get up inside that area of the car to try and get my eyes and hands on the flasher/relay to remove and replace it. What is the EXACT procedure to get access to that area? There is a fibrous carpet colored panel covering that general area. But I can't quite even figure out how to remove that without damaging the retaining plastic things holding it in place. Please give me the best description you can to open that area up and be able to access and change that flasher/relay unit. Thank you
Friday, November 6th, 2015 AT 1:25 PM

Here is a guide and the turn signal flasher location for you car (Below)

https://www.2carpros.com/articles/no-tail-lights-exterior-running-lights-tail-lights-out

Check out the diagrams (Below)

Please let us know if you need anything else to get the problem fixed.

-2
Friday, November 6th, 2015 AT 6:30 PM
TOMEWRIGHT
Thank you very much!
Tom
+1
Friday, November 6th, 2015 AT 7:51 PM
ALTHOUGH I'M A JEEP GUY, I CAN STILL RESEARCH PRODEMAND FOR STUFF

I'LL BE GLAD TO TRY TO LOOK FOR ANYTHING ELSE YOU MIGHT NEED, SHOULD YOU NEED IT. JUST RETURN HERE, I'LL GIVE IT MY BEST SHOT.

Friday, November 6th, 2015 AT 8:27 PM
TOMEWRIGHT
This is kind of fun and interesting having an actual forum to discuss this sort of thing. Ok, well, I went to the Buick dealer to see about getting this fixed. That part we are talking about is only $19.00. When I asked them what the labor to replace it would be, in the event I couldn't get to it myself, which you guys seem to have solved for me, they told me the labor would be $130.00 because the book was telling them they needed to pull the steering wheel to get to it. That is pretty obviously not the case from the info you have shown me here.

I left there deciding to wait to buy the part until I could figure out from you guys if I really could get to it myself. Seems I can, but here is where it gets interesting. The turn signals stopped working and no flasher blinking about a week ago. It would work for about the first 20 minutes of driving then stop working each day. Yesterday, it did not work at all even on first start up of the day. So, after stopping at the dealer and getting that info, I decided to try one more little test to test the flasher unit. I turned on the emergency flashers. Lo and behold, not only did the emergency flasher start flashing just fine, much to my surprise, ALSO the turn signals started working just fine too and worked just fine for the rest of driving around town with several stops for over an hour and never stopped working again. What do you aces think about all that? I'm really curious. Guess we will see what happens next. If the turn signals stop working again, of course I will turn on the emergency flashers and see if I can repeat the repair hack!
Tom
+1
Friday, November 6th, 2015 AT 9:00 PM