HAD BEEN EXPERIENCING INTERMITTENT HVAC BLOWER ...

• paulmeys
  • 2000 BMW 323
  • 90 miles

Had been experiencing intermittent HVAC blower motor. It has quit altogether now. I checked fuses and seem to look good. Turned off and on various settings and fan speeds.
Sorry I don't do online credit card transactions.

Thursday, January 17th, 2013 AT 8:57 PM

• Wrenchtech

You need to start out by testing for power and ground at the motor and see which one is missing if any.

Thursday, January 17th, 2013 AT 9:01 PM
  • paulmeys

OK. I was thinking a relay or resistor with it being intermittent then quitting altogether. BTW It had 90,000 miles Guess it doesn't recognize the 'K' designation. Thank you.

Thursday, January 17th, 2013 AT 9:13 PM
  • Wrenchtech

Unless you're going to test it as I asked, I guess we'll never know.

Thursday, January 17th, 2013 AT 9:20 PM
  • paulmeys

I don't own a multi-meter, plus being color blind I was never able to dive into the DC aspect of electrics. Component replacement is simple enough for me providing I know where it's located. Anything else and I'm lost. I'll check the tightness on the contacts on the motor and see. Is there another way of testing power and ground on the motor?

Thursday, January 17th, 2013 AT 9:38 PM
  • Wrenchtech

With a test light or a meter. You need to test BOTH power and ground.

Thursday, January 17th, 2013 AT 9:41 PM
  • paulmeys

I'll have to look for the test light. Where is the blower motor located and the easiest way to access it?

Thursday, January 17th, 2013 AT 10:43 PM
  • Wrenchtech

I don't mean to be insulting but this isn't looking too promising for you to be able to diagnose this problem. It's going to get much more complicated from this point and a BMW can be one of the more difficult cars to diagnose. There is only so much I can do over a computer and you need to have some abilities on your end.

Thursday, January 17th, 2013 AT 10:56 PM
  • paulmeys

OK. Any thoughts on about how much it might cost? I know a relay is cheaper than a control unit. Lets say least to most. Thank you so much for your input.

Thursday, January 17th, 2013 AT 11:19 PM
  • Wrenchtech

It's a BMW. Nothing is cheap. It can be anywhere from $50 to $2000, depending what it needs. Some of the electronics can be very expensive.
There is about 10 different system models loaded with solid state controls that can be very difficult to diagnose without some expensive equipment.

Friday, January 18th, 2013 AT 1:03 AM