RADIATOR LIGHT ON DASH

1999 Volvo V70

mickay82

August, 19, 2011 AT 5:44 PM

I have a volvo v 70 1999 edition. I did get the car used and the car works very well. Recently I noticed that I was using alot of coolant and when it got low the light on the dash came on and I filled the reserve back up and the light when off. I bought so stop light stuff to put in the collant reserve. About a week later the light came on again so I went to go check the reserve to see if it was low and it was still as full as it was over a week ago when I put the stop leak in. The car isnt over heating and is still driving as normal. Do I need to get the the radiator flushed to get it out of the system or do I need to have the sensors checked? And if its the sensor where are they located?

saturntech9

August, 19, 2011 AT 6:07 PM

If the bottle is full and the light is on you could have a bad level sensor or the wiring to it. The sensor should be in the bottle. Do you have multimeter to do some testing?

mickay82

August, 19, 2011 AT 7:20 PM

Whats a multimeter?

saturntech9

August, 19, 2011 AT 7:22 PM

A meter that measures voltage ohms etc.

JIS001

August, 20, 2011 AT 5:56 PM

The sensor is normally located at the bottom of the expansion tank bottle. Verify that the float in the bottle is ok first. If it is floating and has not sunk down then the sensor is defective. Keep us posted as to what you find?

saturntech9

August, 20, 2011 AT 6:51 PM

Very well stated we just cant over look the wiring to it as well.

Radiator Replacement Kia Sportage
Radiator Replacement Mercedes Benz ML 500
Coolant Drain and Refill Scion XD
Radiator Hose Replacement - Upper - Chevrolet
Thermostat Replacement Chrysler PT Cruiser
Coolant Drain and Refill Acura MDX