IS THERE A PARTICULAR FUSE TO CHECK FOR CHECK ENGINE LIGHT STAYING ON?

1999 Volkswagen Eurovan

Tom Singo

October, 19, 2011 AT 12:18 AM

The wiring got wet on my VR6 engine. After I sprayed with PB Blaster it started but with alot of misfires. I waited until it was running smoother and started down the road with an occaisional miss. The check engine light came on (as expected) flashed a few times and stayed on. In a few miles it was running fine but the light never went out. The next day I took it to get the code out of it and see why it didn't go out. The gentleman at Auto Zone said he couldn't get any info out of it which indicated to him it was a blown fuse. Could you tell me what fuse would have to do with the Check Engine light staying on and not allowing info to be retrieved?

hmac300

October, 19, 2011 AT 12:49 AM

It's possible that you may have damaged the computer with the pb blaster. But check fuses 1-18-117 in underhood fuse panel and fuse 102 behind lh dash. Also check for a poor ground wire from battery as the pb stuff may have gotten between fhe end of cable.

F4I_guy

October, 25, 2011 AT 10:03 PM

What happened was when you washed/PB blasted the engine the ignition coil got saturated in moisture and caused a mis-fire.

The reason why the guy at autozone could not scan your vehicle was most likely because he was using a cheap generic scanner that cannot scan european vehicles.

vwscott

July, 7, 2012 AT 1:16 AM

Stay away from the zone! They are people that couldn't cut it anywhere else. Any that i've made contact with misdiagnose and try to sell anything to make a buck. Autozone and vw/audi do not go together very well.

vwscott

July, 7, 2012 AT 1:19 AM

Also if it's still a problem i'd seperate the suspected connector(s) and use a brake cleaner to wash the pb residue off, it may cause resistance and thus, the cel is on. Do this for the connector side but be careful doing it to the ecm.

rivermikerat

July, 29, 2012 AT 11:46 PM

Tom Singo: How is everything? Were you able to get the CEL to go out? Were the suggestions here useful?