MY WIFE WHILE DRIVING RAN THROUGH SOME DEEP HIGH...

1999 Volkswagen Cabriolet

Anonymous

October, 19, 2012 AT 3:49 PM

My wife while driving ran through some deep high water about a foot deep and the car cut out and stopped. It would'nt start again and we had it towed to a garage. It has been there 2 days while they try to fix the problem, They let it dry out and it started up finnally and tjhey ran it for awahile. My wife took it and drove it about 10 miles hwne it stopped again. Towed it back to the garage and they got it started and they took it out for a ride and it stopped again and they can't start it. Do you have any idea what's going on with the car? Howie@tpt. Com

Cj Stalling When Idling

Stalling Out

promechanic

October, 19, 2012 AT 4:37 PM

There is most likely just water in some of the wiring connectors. The only thing you ca really do is wait it out or remove each connector and dry it out. This is tough thing to get fixed but it is just a matter or drying everything out.

exovcds

October, 19, 2012 AT 4:41 PM

1999 old body style or new body style?

2 liter engine?

Thomas

exovcds

October, 19, 2012 AT 4:45 PM

Never mind, sorry. Cabriolet. D'oh!

Since the distributor hall signal is not needed for the engine to run, you can ignore the sensor on the
distributor and focus on the Crankshaft Position Sensor and the Ignition Coil.

The Ignition coils are prone to cracking, which will lead to misfires & no starts.

Yes, "drying out" will eventually get it to run correctly (longer), but there is still an issue.

I can wash my engine bay with a hose while the engine is running, because all Ignition components are
healthy (old wires will allow spark to escape & ground-out).

If any of the Ignition components (plugs, wires, cap, rotor, ignition coil) are 8yrs old or more, replace them.

Thomas