How do you replace a water pump in a 1999 vw cabriolet?
have the same problem?
Wednesday, March 30th, 2011 AT 11:01 PM
Replacing the pump is a very involved. I strongly recommend getting a repair manual with step by step directions and pictures to help identify parts.
Thursday, June 30th, 2011 AT 6:47 PM
I know this is an old post, but in case someone else is reading this.
- Disconnect battery negative
- Release Serpentine Belt tension, and remove belt from alternator
- Remove alternator and set aside with wiring
- Remove a/c compressor mounting bolts and move compressor forward
- Remove water pump belt (tension is adjusted via p/s pump)
- Move spring clamps off of water pump (slide to the side on hoses)
- remove small 10mm nut that holds the timing belt cover to the
water pump and also remove pin
- Remove water pump mounting bolts/nuts
- remove water pump from block while at the same time pulling hoses
off of water pump fittings.
Clean all mating surfaces before mounting new pump.