FRONTERA NOW WONT START

1999 Vauxhall Fronterra

tuffrus

May, 5, 2011 AT 5:31 PM

Hi I have a 1999 t reg frontera today I was running then when I went out to go out in it it started then over reved then cut out and wont start again what could it be

tuffrus

May, 5, 2011 AT 8:53 PM

Thanks for your replay no there is no spark dont understand y it just not starting has been running fine up untill today what else could it be would be very greatfull for your help thanks

rivermikerat

June, 15, 2011 AT 4:29 AM

When I read where you said it "over-revved" flags went up in my head. I'm not familiar with Vauxhall, but if it has a computer, the over-rev may have caused problems with it.

As for no spark, check the coil output. Perform the same test as above, but with the coil lead and not individual plug wires.
Next, pull the cap off the distributor and see if the rotor turns. The "over-rev" you mentioned tells me it might not be. Being a 2.2, it most likely has a timing belt. See if you can find the cam drive gear and see if it turns when you have a helper crank the engine over. If not, you've found your problem. With the cap off the distributor, try turning the rotor by hand. It shouldn't do anything more than wiggle a little. Anything more than a wiggle, replace it. This may be easy or fairly involved, depending upon where the break occurred.

With 82K miles on the engine, I'm thinking a snapped timing belt.

Crank Angle Sensor Replacement Mercedes Benz
Crankshaft Position Sensor Replace Chevrolet
Fuel Pump Test Chevy Tahoe
Fuel Pump Replacement
Fuel Pump Replacement Ford Mustang
Fuel Pump Replacement Done Right