VIBRATION HAPPENS OCCASIONALLY AROUND 50 KM/H

1999 Toyota Camry

john woo

January, 17, 2012 AT 3:33 AM

What is the cause for this vibration which only happens occasionally and usually at around 50 km/h and 80km/h only for 1999 Toyota Camry 2L 4 Cyl?Vibration at 60 - 80km/h. More noticeable when on load like going up hill. When accelerate hard the vibration goes away. Only happen when gently accelerate and when reach speed around 60 - 80 km/h the vibration comes on.

Letting go the accelerator the vibration goes away. Vibration only occurs when fuel is applies by pressing on the accelerator. Spent over $500 for mechanic to replaced Platinum spark plugs and plug cords plus tuning done at certified Toyota service center but the vibration problem still exist. What is next? Wanting to know the exact cause to this problem. Pease advice.

rivermikerat

January, 17, 2012 AT 3:53 AM

Check for loose or worn suspension components. Have the wheels and tyres balanced on the car. Check for vacuum leaks.

john woo

January, 17, 2012 AT 4:04 AM

Wheel and Tyres were balanced. If it is balancing issues or something loose it should vibrate at all time and not only when putting fuel on the accelerator right? Can it be the catalytic converter? I took the car to the exhaust place and they inspected and certified all OK and said something wrong with the car engine. I am very lost here, can't be engine? If its engine I can hear the vibration even when the car is stationary but its not that case.

rivermikerat

January, 17, 2012 AT 4:25 AM

Not necessarily. It could be harmonics. Do you hear or feel a vibration with the transmission in Neutral and the car stopped while increasing the engine speed? How about while driving, throw the transmission into neutral and give it throttle.

It's a very outside chance that it could be the catalytic converter.

john woo

January, 17, 2012 AT 4:37 AM

No vibration on neutral and while increasing engine speed. When going down hill no vibration, except when there is loading such as going up hill vibration kicks in when speed get up to at times 40km/h however put more pressure on the accelerator the vibration goes away. It only happens when loading on the car and fuel is apply. Can it be the automatic transmission problem? Would it give this kind of problem if its the automatic clutch pad worn or something like that?

rivermikerat

January, 17, 2012 AT 5:23 AM

It could be transmission, torque converter, or engine related. But, from your description in the last post, I would lean more towards a transmission issue.

john woo

January, 17, 2012 AT 5:29 AM

Thanks. I shall give a go to have the automatic transmission a full service. Hope this fixes the problem. Shall keep you posted after this is done!

rivermikerat

January, 17, 2012 AT 5:31 AM

Ok. Good luck. Tell your friends about us and do keep us posted.

john woo

January, 18, 2012 AT 4:10 AM

The problem is caused by a missing bolt at the exhaust manifold. Nothing to do with the automatic transmission. Dissappointed with the exhaust place that did not pick up the problem during inspection. Maybe exhaust place only check the exhaust section underneath the car and not all the entire exhaust system all the way up to the engine manifold. Hope this helps those who have similar problem.

rivermikerat

January, 18, 2012 AT 4:31 AM

That loose or missing bolt must have been on a mount or flange. The manifold has at least 5 bolts securing it to the cylinder head. One loose or missing bolt in the manifold wouldn't cause a noise, except an exhaust leak. Did they replace the gasket, I hope?

john woo

January, 18, 2012 AT 4:34 AM

Apparently just that one missing bolt caused the problem.

Spark Plug and Wire Replacement Ford Mustang
Spark Plug Replacement Mercedes Benz C230
Spark Plug Replacement Honda Element
Spark Plug Replacement Ford Explorer 4.6L V8
Spark Plug Replacement Toyota Corolla 2000-20
Spark Plug Replacement Toyota Tacoma
Spark Plug Replacement Mercedes Benz ML500