JEEP DIED WHILE DRIVING, NO SPARK

1999 Suzuki Vitara

SophieP

September, 14, 2011 AT 4:33 PM

4cyl. 2.0 L. My Vitara stalled while I was driving and it didn't start after that. I have no spark, it turnes normally but won't start. All fuses are good, I have changed the CMP sensor and ECU, didn't change anything. I have also removed the after market anti-theft device. Gives no DTC. Don't know where to go from here, please help.

Jacobandnickolas

September, 14, 2011 AT 4:34 PM

Check the crank sensor and make sure you are getting power to the coil.

SophieP

September, 14, 2011 AT 5:08 PM

Can you tell me where to find the crank sensor, do I have to remove the transmission? I have four individual coil packs, one for each spark plug, none of them have power.

Jacobandnickolas

September, 14, 2011 AT 5:13 PM

It should be located near the harmonic balancer.

SophieP

September, 14, 2011 AT 5:30 PM

Sorry i'm not very familiar with these, I have no idea where the harmonic balancer is. I was told I had to remove the tranny to get access.

Jacobandnickolas

September, 14, 2011 AT 5:37 PM

I just checked. It says on the right front of engine. The harmonic balancer is located at the bottom front of the engine. It is where the belt is driven by the engine. That is where the sensor should be.

SophieP

September, 14, 2011 AT 5:42 PM

Thanks, I will have a look tonight.

Jacobandnickolas

September, 14, 2011 AT 6:17 PM

Let me know if you find it.

SophieP

September, 14, 2011 AT 6:39 PM

I've seen in the suzuki forum that you have to be very carefull when replacing these, this is also where I have seen that the tranny needs to be removed and it has to be placed in the exact same way not to affect the timing.

SophieP

September, 14, 2011 AT 7:00 PM

Also, it says that the crank sensor would not cause a no spark, like I said I have no idea if this is accurate or not.

Ignition Coil System Test Repair - All Cars
Ignition System Test Guide
Crank Angle Sensor Replacement Mercedes Benz
Crankshaft Position Sensor Replace Chevrolet