SWITCH PROBLEM

1999 Subaru Forester

michaelg444

June, 3, 2011 AT 11:34 PM

I have a 1999 subaru forrester, and with the key off there is a clicking(like a switch or turn signal) noise directly under the dash, enough to run the battery down, upon charging and hooking upthe battery the clicking starts, stopping for 5 second intervals then continuing for about 2 or the minutes. Cannot find tne problem

June, 4, 2011 AT 12:28 PM

You need to locate the source of the clicking. It could be a relay sticking.

If you can't isolate the source, start by pulling the fuses one by one till you are able to get the fuse that is providing the power source and go on from there.

bigdan

June, 21, 2011 AT 1:53 AM

I've had the same problem since my 99 was new. Dealer could not fix it, but I worked out a solution. It is your electric door locks. Here is what I did. Turn off ignition, remove door lock fuse, not sure what number. Years later I opened up the sheath that covers wires between rear door and body. Several wires were broken or just hanging by a strand. Repairing them solved a lot of electrical probles including the clicking.

Good luck Ed

June, 21, 2011 AT 11:22 AM

Thanks for the input. It definitely is going to help others who might have the same problem.

Nothing is better than having hands on experience.

Have a nice day.

Replace Your Turn Signal Switch Like a Pro