HELP

1999 Saturn SL2

Saturnsl2man

July, 24, 2012 AT 2:55 AM

Hi, I have a 1999 saturn sl2, when I start it up in the morning I warm it up for about 5min then about 5min off driving it stalls, then takes about 10min to start, it never stalls again through out the day, runs fine, next morning it does the same thing allover again, I change the coolant temp sensor, still doing it, thanks.

saturntech9

July, 24, 2012 AT 3:00 AM

Any codes?Almost sounds like a bad crank shaft position sensor. Pretty common on those cars I have seen them do some pretty strange things. When it stalls and wont start see if you have spark?

Saturnsl2man

July, 24, 2012 AT 3:08 AM

Thank you, no codes just tuned it up, have good spark, thanks again, donation next time credit card maxed out.

saturntech9

July, 24, 2012 AT 3:14 AM

So when it stalls out and wont start you made sure you have a nice blue spark when this haplens?Because a loss of spark is the most likely cause of whats happening.

Saturnsl2man

July, 24, 2012 AT 3:27 AM

Hellow! I never checked it for spark, but when it does start everthing is normal, it drive fine through out the day, no loss of power, Thanks.

saturntech9

July, 24, 2012 AT 3:31 AM

Alright you threw me off you said you had good spark on your last post. So next time it stalls and wont start check for spark. Let me know what you find.

Saturnsl2man

July, 24, 2012 AT 3:39 AM

Ok thanks I will do that, one more thing how do I check for spark?

saturntech9

July, 24, 2012 AT 3:50 AM

Its easy on that car all you have to do is pop off two spark plug wires that are side by side on the coil. Have someone crank the car while you watch for a nice blue spark jumping from coil tower to coil tower. If there is no spark then your down to a ignition control module or a crank sensor. The ignition control modules are expensive on those cars and dont fail often. The crank sensors fail pretty common on those cars and are cheap. You can test the crank shaft sensor when there failing with a multimeter. It should read around 800 ohms when they fail they read as a open.

Saturnsl2man

July, 24, 2012 AT 4:03 PM

Hi, I did the test to see if I had spark, I had no spark, one yellowish spark once then nothing after that, now I know what the problem is, thanks a million.

saturntech9

July, 24, 2012 AT 4:27 PM

So are you going to test the crank shaft sensor?Or just try replacing it?

Saturnsl2man

July, 24, 2012 AT 4:37 PM

I probably just go ahead & replace it, so I can save myself from future headaches.

Coolant Temperature Sender Replacement