MY CAR WONT START BUT IT TURNS OVER

1999 Saturn SL2

aslater3

July, 18, 2012 AT 5:18 PM

I have a 99 saturn sl2 that wont start I had a mechanic come to my house and he said that I needed a new fuel pump and he put it in and it still wont start.

saturntech9

July, 18, 2012 AT 5:41 PM

Alright do you spark?Also any codes?How did he diagnose it needed a fuel pump?Did he do a fuel pressure test and then make sure there was power and ground to the fuel pump?

saturntech9

July, 18, 2012 AT 5:42 PM

How about the coolant temp sensor did he check that?That will cause a no start.I hope you didnt have to pay him for his poor diagnoses?

aslater3

July, 18, 2012 AT 6:08 PM

I did pay him actually and I dont now about them other things I wasnt home when he diagnosed it was the fuel pump

saturntech9

July, 18, 2012 AT 6:37 PM

Wow you got ripped off sounds like he had no clue hopefully he atleaset replaced the pump. The earlier 1995 and down saturns had pretty high fuel pump failure rate I replaced a lot of them. Not so many 1996 ones the 1997 ones I replaced a lot because they would bleed down fuel pressure and cause a extended crank starts. The 1998 and up fuel pumps didnt fail that much.I have 227,000 miles on my 1999 SL2 with the oringal fuel pump.I will help you figure this out if your willing to do what I ask and get your hands dirty?

aslater3

July, 18, 2012 AT 6:47 PM

Ok so what do I need to to get my car started and not have to keep paying out rageous amounts of money

saturntech9

July, 18, 2012 AT 8:06 PM

First try this hold the gas pedal all the way to the floor while trying to start the car. Did it start?If not lets start by checking for spark you need a spark plug which you could even pull out of the engine hook it to the end of the spark plug wire. Then touch the plug to the engine while someone cranks it to start the engine. You should see a nice blue spark?Also do you have a multimeter?

aslater3

July, 19, 2012 AT 12:22 PM

So last night I had try starting it with the gas pedal that didnt work and I dont have the tools at home to get the spark plugs out and now my battery is dead

saturntech9

July, 19, 2012 AT 5:27 PM

Have the battery charged and tested then put it back in. While your at the auto parts rent a fuel pressure gauge they rent them at auto zone. When you get home pull two wires off the coil pack that are side by side then have someone crank it over while you watch for a nice blue spark to jump from coil tower to coil tower. Also let me know if the warning for the headlights being on when leaving the car with the key off works?Also if the rear window defroster works?Let me know what you find?

Crankshaft Position Sensor Replace Chevrolet
Crank Angle Sensor Replacement Mercedes Benz
Fuel Pump Test Chevy Tahoe
Fuel Pump Pressure Test
Fuel Pump Replacement