TRANSMISSION WONT ENGAGE AT ALL I NEED DETAILS ON HOW TO FIX IT?

1999 Pontiac Trans Am

soulmatica21

June, 27, 2012 AT 12:01 AM

I have a 1999 pontiac trans am just the other day I was driving on the road and all of a sudden the transmission stopped engaging as if the car was on neutral I pulled over on the side of the road and I turned the car off. Turned it back on put the car in drive, still in neutral put it in reverse same thing. Same for 3, 2, and 1 transmission fluid is good and the transmission was recently replaced the transmission clutch cable is in great condition as well I need help. What would be the problem?

June, 27, 2012 AT 12:07 AM

Clutch cable-I take its a manual transmission-sounds like the clutch is gone-

saturntech9

June, 27, 2012 AT 12:10 AM

What size engine do you have?Also any codes in the computer?We are talking about a automatic transmission correct?

soulmatica21

June, 27, 2012 AT 12:16 AM

Its an automatic transmission yes also I meant the cable that connects to this lever that sets the gears to drive or reverse and so on

soulmatica21

June, 27, 2012 AT 12:17 AM

Its a 5.7 liter ls1 motor

saturntech9

June, 27, 2012 AT 12:34 AM

Do you still have a warranty on the transmission that was replaced?

soulmatica21

June, 27, 2012 AT 7:33 AM

The warranty has expired

saturntech9

June, 27, 2012 AT 10:01 AM

So do you have any codes in the computer?Have you checked for codes yet?

engine joe 26

May, 14, 2015 AT 7:29 PM

Turn the ignition to on position without starting car, set parking brake, have someone depress brake pedal and move gear selector lever through its range while you observe the linkage to verify it is working (you will have to look under the car on the left side of the transmission) if the selector lever on the side of the trans is clicking firmly into place in conjunction with the selector lever in the car than you are looking at internal damage, assuming fluid is full and in good shape, and all other connections are secure, burned clutches, stuck valve or other mechanical damage, could be torque converter but it would leak fluid.

2CarPros Ken

May, 15, 2015 AT 10:11 AM

Nice answer engine joe : -) love the user name btw lol

Best, Ken