CAR RANDOMLY SHUTS OFF WHEN THROTTLE IS LET OFF,OCASSIONAL SMOKE OUT THE TAIL PIPE,OIL OUT OF THROTTLE BODY

1999 Pontiac Grand Am

tomzarifis

August, 19, 2012 AT 6:50 AM

Service engine light is on and off. Coming to a stop the engine randomly shuts off with no notice. Fires right back up when turn the key. Once warmed up, it will blow a cloud of smoke out the tail pipe from a stop, again it's randomly. Now oil is coming out the throttle body through the butterfly valve. THIS car has been nothing but trouble and am at wits end. Can you please give me as my help on this mess? THANK YOU!

Throttle Body

Throttle Body Connection

1 IMAGE

August, 19, 2012 AT 7:12 AM

Have a scn done to check for trouble codes and post them here so we know what is causing the MIL to indicate.

The stalling is most probably due to excessive low or unstable idling and most probably due to dirty idle air control air passages. Oil at the throttle body most probably has added to the problem. Have the throttle body and IAC cleaned and retest.

As to oil getting to the throttle body, that can mean the blowby gas inside engine is excessive. Check the PCV valve and replace if necessary.

The smoke is most probably due to oil being burnt and being an old engine, there is nothing much you can do unless you want to rebuild it.

tomzarifis

August, 19, 2012 AT 7:29 AM

Thank you very much for the fast response. Now I have a starting point. Will begin doing these things and give an update when done.

August, 19, 2012 AT 7:37 AM

You're welcome.
Will be waiting.
Good luck.

Easily Clean Your Throttle Bore Like a Pro
Engine Oil Change and Filter Replacement
Engine Oil Change and Filter Honda Element
Air Filter Replacement Toyota Tundra
Oil Change & Filter Chevrolet Equinox