GRAND VOYAGUER JUST SHUTS DOWN.

1999 Plymouth Voyager

tj08

March, 21, 2011 AT 1:53 PM

I have a 1999 Plymouth Grand Voyager and for no reason and a no specific time it will just shut down. Has happened once while stopped at a traffic light, and another time just driving along. It's like someone just pulls a plug, It just shuts down, no sputter, no warning light, nothing!
My mechanic had it for 2 weeks, his code reader tells him "No Diagnostic Issues Found" He believes it is something in the anit-theft system. He can not get access to codes because the dealers here in Canada/Ontario, want a yearly fee for access which he refuses to pay and be held hostage.
I can not afford to take my car to the dealer and they will not agree to just use a code or whatever it takes to disable the alarm system. They want to "go through everything from scratch". I can not afford this.
If you could offer any insight what so ever I would be grateful.
Thank you.
Tim.

fixitmr

March, 21, 2011 AT 3:50 PM

You could try replacing your crank/cam sensors as these cause sudden shutdowns when randomly defective.

tj08

March, 21, 2011 AT 3:56 PM

I will look into that, thank you. Any other ideas would still be greatly appreciated.

Martin Savard

March, 21, 2011 AT 6:35 PM

After it shuts down does it restart right away?

tj08

March, 21, 2011 AT 9:11 PM

No it does not restart right away, took about 20 min to restart the one time and last 2 times it acted like it had a low battery and had to be boosted, but it did start with a boost. Battery, alternator, relays, starter, ignition, fusebox have all been checked and found to be in good working order.