WHINING ENGINE ON A 99 AND SCREECHING WHEN TURNING

1999 Oldsmobile Aurora

blue0079

May, 30, 2011 AT 5:36 PM

Hi, I have a 99 Oldsmobile aurora. 166,000 miles.I'm trying to fix all the problems for the wife before I deploy in June.I got a buddy helping me with the brakes but here's my two issues.
#1. There's is a kind of a screeching or squeaking sound only when I make a left turn. Not always though, if I turn slightly or really turn it's there but I can find the spot with no noise and can turn depending where I move the wheel.
#2. The car whines a lot, when driving, or not.I can turn the wheel and it stops for a moment but whether I excel or just sit there it whines.
. All fluids are good. Besides the brakes I'm also doing serpentine belt.A few suggestions for the noise were; The ac compressor or the power steering pump. Someone even said maybe a trans flush, but it shifts with no problems. Any help is appreciated.I would donate If I can find the answer.

Docfixit

May, 30, 2011 AT 6:48 PM

Suspect power steering pump. Can hear whine coming from pump? With hood open have helper turn wheel see if can ID noise. Like you trns not likely

blue0079

May, 30, 2011 AT 7:09 PM

Appreciate the quick response. So it looks like psr steering pump is the problem. Do you think all those noises(prob.#1)stem from that?

blue0079

May, 30, 2011 AT 7:11 PM

Appreciate the quick response. Do you think the noises in prob 1 could also be from bad pwr steering pump?

Docfixit

May, 30, 2011 AT 7:15 PM

Very likely belt could be slipping while tuening. Possible weak belt tensioner

blue0079

May, 30, 2011 AT 7:20 PM

Thank you! I'll replace belt and pump, and let u know if that was it, along with my donation. Much appreciated.(Sorry for the double post)

Docfixit

May, 30, 2011 AT 7:24 PM

Hope this helps make sure wife knows about so when you deploy she can come here for car advise.
God Bless and protect

Clutch/Flywheel/Rear Main Seal Replacement
Radiator Fluid Flush and Fill Ford Explorer
Brake Pads and Rotor Replacement - Front Ford
Coolant Drain and Refill Scion XD