DOES MY NEED A MOTOR?

1999 Oldsmobile 88

Scott79z28

October, 12, 2011 AT 12:24 AM

I have a 1999 oldsmobile 88 with 118,000 miles that I just bought. The trouble code shows a #5 cylinder misfire. Previous owner replaced coil, plugs and wires. I took it to a local garage and they told me # 5 cylinder had 80 pounds of pressure. They put the valve cover off and found no problems. They called me and said they could pull the intake off to check the lifters, etc. But they said to do this would be a few hundred dollars. They also said it could be a piston problem. I didn't have them explore any farther than that, and I picked up the car. My brother says I should just get a used motor. What's your opinion? I can get one used for $400. The noise sounds like top end noise, but at times it makes a noise like a bad harmonic balancer. Thanks for your help.

Harmonic Balancer

October, 12, 2011 AT 12:42 AM

Replace it with a used engine-misfire at cylinder no.5 could be a sparkplug compression and injector for no.5-obvious its low on no.5

DrCranknWrench

October, 12, 2011 AT 12:47 AM

The genral rule of thumb for compression tests is that less than 100 PSI is out of specification. However, they should have checked all the cylinders because a full test checks to see if the highest compression is within 75% of the lowest compression.

Secondly, I am ssuming it is running rough. If you get a used motr, look around the internet and try to find one that has had a compression test, leakdown test and a start up guranantee.
Most reputable slavage yards will do that. They will drop shipp it to your door for around $100 as well. Also, try to get all the accessories, maybe even the tranny, as you never know when one bracket is just different engough to make the whole thing a parts hunt for that one thing.

I hope this helps you out. Be patient and take your time finding a used engine dealer. Don't go loacl because it is easy or EBAY, unless you by-pass stuff and always look on forums olr anywhere their name will come up to check on theior reputation and customer service.

Crankshaft Main Seal Replace - Front
Step by Step Timing Chain Replacement Guide
Step by Step Timing Belt Replacement Guide
Serpentine Belt Replacement
Serpentine Belt Replacement Ford Contour
Serpentine Belt Replacement Chevy 1500