FOR ABOUT THE LAST SIX MONTHS MY CAR IDLES ...

1999 Nissan Maxima

scsmith42

March, 28, 2013 AT 2:06 PM

For about the last six months, my car idles roughly while at a stop -- the engine is very choppy. About a month ago while stopped at a light, the engine cut off. I was able to start it again immediately. Two days ago, the engine cut off again while stopped at a light. I was able to pull to the side of the road, and start the car up again after about 15 minutes. Yesterday while driving on the freeway the engine cut off. Once again, I was able to pull to the side of the road and start the car again after about 20 minutes, and drive home without issue. Any thoughts?

Cj Stalling When Idling

Stalling Out

scsmith42

March, 28, 2013 AT 2:37 PM

This should be 167,000 miles.

March, 28, 2013 AT 3:38 PM

Is the Malfunction Indicator Light showing and have you checkd for trouble codes?

If the engine cuts off only when slowing down or at a stop, it should be due to excessively low idling. Give the throttle body and IAC some cleaning and retest.

scsmith42

March, 28, 2013 AT 3:47 PM

The Check Engine light is showing; I haven't had a chance yet to check the codes.

I'm taking the car in today to have it worked on. People have suggested to me things like get a tune up, replace the fuel control valve, or replace the ignition coils.

March, 28, 2013 AT 4:24 PM

You need to start with retrieving the trouble code and find out what is wrong. Those who suggest replacing things without getting the touble codes knows nothing about car repairs.