ENGINE WON'T START WITHOUT ETHER

1999 Nissan Maxima

Donna0728

November, 7, 2011 AT 11:06 PM

My 99 maxima doesnt start, (it will with ether) they're saying its the computer or the anti theft device? How do I know which one it is? At first we thought it was the fuel pump.I would gladly accept any and all advice you could give me

Jacobandnickolas

November, 7, 2011 AT 11:07 PM

Is the security light on? Also, have you checked for fuel pump pressure? Who are "they" that told you? Was it a certified tech?

Donna0728

November, 7, 2011 AT 11:14 PM

"They" are my brother in laws, and yes the light was on steady not blinking, at first we thought it was the fuel pump, but now he thinks it is the ecm, or icu. How would we know which one it is? Ive been without my car for 2 weeks im trying to help him out on his homework.

Donna0728

November, 7, 2011 AT 11:15 PM

Not certified techs. One is a mechanic who seems to be stumped

Jacobandnickolas

November, 7, 2011 AT 11:20 PM

If the security light is on, that is the problem and not the ecm. I hate to say it, but you need to have the computer scanned to identify where the problem is coming from. There are several things that could cause it.

Donna0728

November, 7, 2011 AT 11:29 PM

Should I get a new icu then? Are they hard to come by? And what am I looking at to spend.I really appreciate your answers. Could you please enlighten me on the several things that can cause it?

Jacobandnickolas

November, 8, 2011 AT 1:50 AM

Not until you have the computer scanned to identify where the problem is coming from. As far as the ECM, they aren't cheap so don't spend the money until we know for sure what is causing the problem.

Crank Angle Sensor Replacement Mercedes Benz
Crankshaft Position Sensor Replace Chevrolet
Fuel Pump Test Chevy Tahoe
Fuel Pump Replacement Done Right
Fuel Pump Replacement