WHY IS THE RADIATOR FAN GO ON AT SLOW SPEED AND RUN FOR A FEW SECONDS GOES OFF?

1999 Mitsubishi Pajero

flwesanya

June, 25, 2012 AT 9:48 PM

1999 Mitsubish Pajero IO GDI(H76W-0032372: My car is overheating. I changed the thermostat. But it still overheats. It ruptured the radiator cover and I had to replace with a new radiator after failing to get the spare part separate. After putting the new radiator I noticed that the fan takes long to come on. And when the fan comes on it runs at a very slow speed for a few seconds and stops before the coolant cools. Now Is it the fan mortor that is failing or what is causing this? If I remove the thermostat from the socket the fan runs at normal speed but the car idling does not stabilise and the engine light in the dash board goes on. Kindly assist me with an answer.

June, 26, 2012 AT 12:13 AM

Scan the computer for codes/s-start here -let us know-could be the coolant temperature sensor acting up-

flwesanya

June, 29, 2012 AT 8:52 AM

I have done the scan: 'Fun control unit needs replacement'. That is all I was told.

Wrenchtech

June, 29, 2012 AT 10:03 AM

I don't have specific specs on that car but most all of these fans are intentionally designed to come on at higher temps for emissions reasons. Most don't come on until225 of higher and that is normal. As long as the fan is shutting back off, I doubt it has a problem at all.

flwesanya

June, 29, 2012 AT 11:27 AM

Thanks. Now I am getting confused. What controls the speed of the fun? Because I see that when the fun is eventually started it moves at a very slow speed for a few seconds and then it stops. This causes engine overheating.

Wrenchtech

June, 29, 2012 AT 11:30 AM

As I stated, I don't have a wiring diagram for that car but many have 2 speed systems. It could also be a bad fan motor but you could determine if that's the case by observing how it works with the A/C

flwesanya

June, 29, 2012 AT 11:56 AM

Ok let me tray and observe. I will come back to you later.

June, 29, 2012 AT 2:57 PM

No code reader or scan tool would tell you what component needs to be replaced. They only tell you that a certain circuit has a fault.

What is the EXACT trouble code that you are getting?

Radiator Cooling Fan Replacement Chrysler PT
Radiator Cooling Fan Replacement Chevrolet