I HAVE A 1999 MITSUBISHI ECLIPSE 2

1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse

Anonymous

December, 23, 2012 AT 6:08 PM

I have a 1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse 2.0 non-turbo. At times it will not start. Turn the key and only clicks. Was told the battery was no good so replaced it. Starts occasionally but not all the time. Starter checked out ok. I am thinking it might be the switch on the clutch as when it does not start if I play with the clutch a few minutes more than a few at times it will start. Odd looking switch not sure how it works. Thinking it was going to be a normal type switch but was surprised it was a metal cannister type. Could you explain how this works and if it could be causing the problem I am experiencing? Seems to be an easy fix as it appears I can remove the clip on the clutch and it shpuld slid off. Is that the case?

December, 23, 2012 AT 6:10 PM

Open with the pedal up and closed with it down

i would look again at the starter motor. I bet it has a dead spot in the armature.

kbeucke

December, 23, 2012 AT 6:14 PM

You don't think the clutch switch could cause this? Just strange it starts after playing with the clutch by pushing it in and out.

December, 23, 2012 AT 6:16 PM

I hear you. To be sure, use a test light on the switch. 12 volts to one side, and 12 to the other with the pedal pushed down. Do this when it wont start to confirm

December, 23, 2012 AT 10:35 PM

When problem occurs, try bypassing the switch with a jumper wire to test.

December, 23, 2012 AT 10:40 PM

Btw if you can hear a click when turning to crank, it most probably is not the clutch pedal switch. If it is bad, the starter relay would not click.
Either it is the starter itself or the starter relay could be failing.

kbeucke

Turns out it is the clutch switch. Could I just remove the switch and still be able to start it? If I remove it do I have to be sure the switch is in the in position?

kbeucke

Is this the switch. Does not look like any I have seen.

That is the master cylinder. The switch is just off the picture, I can just make out the stopper. The switch should be off the bracket, left of picture.

Crank Angle Sensor Replacement Mercedes Benz
Crankshaft Position Sensor Replace Chevrolet
Fuel Pump Replacement Ford Mustang
Fuel Pump Replacement
Fuel Pump Replacement Done Right