99 MERCURY TRACER WON'T START!?

• brittonprice
  • 1999 Mercury Tracer
  • 118 miles

Jumped time put back on time and replaced coil pack, fuel pump, and spark plugs. Had running for roughly 20min but will run NEEDING HELP PLEASE!

Thursday, December 8th, 2011 AT 9:17 PM

• rasmataz

Won't start is it cranking over and will not start or hard to start but runs-

+1
Thursday, December 8th, 2011 AT 9:19 PM
  • Wrenchtech

Jumped time?

Did you replace the belt?

Thursday, December 8th, 2011 AT 9:28 PM
  • brittonprice

No we did not replace the timing belt cause it was fine no teeth missing. Yes we had it running but it was rough we let it run and after 20min it died now wont start. It wants to start but will not. It makes the sound I have worked on lots of car this is just weird

Thursday, December 8th, 2011 AT 9:30 PM
  • rasmataz

Go to this link: http://www.2carpros.com/articles/car-cranks-but-wont-start

Thursday, December 8th, 2011 AT 9:34 PM
  • brittonprice

Link did nothing for me. I need someone who has had this problem before we have checked fuel rail its getting pressure. The car wants to start im wondering if there is a sensor or anything that needs to be replaced after I redid time or what? Will act like wants to start and will back fire but wont start! Has spark has air has gas! Like ive said we have had it running but killed itself what could it be?

Thursday, December 8th, 2011 AT 9:41 PM
  • Wrenchtech

There is no way a timing belt is going to jump time without some other severe problem causing it and the belt should NEVER be re-used.

Thursday, December 8th, 2011 AT 9:45 PM
  • brittonprice

Ok. Im just trying to get it running it fires and has spark just will not run again. We had it running but will not start again?

Thursday, December 8th, 2011 AT 9:48 PM
  • rasmataz

What is the fuel pressure? You're dealing with 2-experts here and you're still not agreeing with us-Do below and whatever you do don't comeback without any testing results-we need this information in order to continue

Get a helper disconnect a sparkplug wire or 2 and ground it to the engine atleast 3/16 away from ground-have helper crank engine over-do you have a snapping blue spark? If so-you have a fuel related problem, Do you hear the fuel pump come On when you turn key on? If not check fuel pump fuse and fuel pump relay if okay-check the fuel pressure to rule out the fuel filter/fuel pump/pressure regulator and listen to the injector/s are they pulsing or hook up a noid light. No snapping blue spark continue to troubleshoot the ignition system-power input to the coil/coil packs, coil's resistances, cap and rotor, distributor pick-up coil, ignition control module, cam and crank sensors and computer Note: If it doesn't apply disregard it and keep testing

BTW don't teach us something that we have allready know for many years-teach us something that we don't know about compression, fuel and spark- problems were just trying to help you out-

Thursday, December 8th, 2011 AT 10:00 PM
  • brittonprice

Yes has spark done that. Yes fuel pump comes on at key turn replaced cause we had the fuel pump go out. Replaced coil pack cause its plug inlet was breaking off. And I know your trying to help me out and im thankful wasnt trying to tell you im trying to tell you what ive done also. My step father is an expert and cant figure it out. Im going to look at the fuel injectors and we do not have fuel pressure gauge but am trying to find one. Will check those and sensors and get back to you guys thank you.

Thursday, December 8th, 2011 AT 10:26 PM