The heater A/C blower doesn't blow? How do I get it working?

• 11 POSTS

I checked the fuse first its good then the blower relay it checked out fine. I changed the relay anyway in case it was intermittent. I then checked the blower switch it seemed loose inside so I replaced it with an OE switch for that car. Still no luck. There is no power at the speed switch which seems odd. I thought the blower resistor might be bad. It was chipped and the resistor was very dark like it had been burnt but it didn't smell burnt. So I replace the blower resistor with an OE from ford. Still its not blowing. I take the car for a ride the blower starts working after about 15 minutes of driving. I move the blower switch to off then back to 4 the blower doesn't work at all for another 15 minutes. That's the ride back home. Now it quit again after turning the switch off then on. I check the blower for a loose connection no its tight. So tight I cannot get it un plugged. Three days of work and I am frustrated. I have been a mechanic for 25 years now and have never run into this problem. I don't have a schematic or a book on the car and I am winging it. I used alldata. Com at the library but it wasn't much help.

Please let me know when you find out exactly what was wrong. I have had nothing but trouble from my '99 Cougar and one of them is that my blower only works on 4, which even seems weak to me. I have checked the heater fuse, and it was fine. I did try changing it, but I didn't have any luck.

Thank you!

Friday, November 11th, 2011 AT 5:51 AM

It sounds like the blower motor is bad, here is a guide that will help you test and replace the blower motor.

Run some tests and get back to us so we can continue helping you.

Best, Ken

Monday, February 6th, 2017 AT 4:16 AM