The heater A/C blower doesn't blow? How do I get it working?

ROC MARTIN
  • 1999 MERCURY COUGAR

I checked the fuse first its good then the blower relay it checked out fine. I changed the relay anyway in case it was intermittent. I then checked the blower switch it seemed loose inside so I replaced it with an OE switch for that car. Still no luck. There is no power at the speed switch which seems odd. I thought the blower resistor might be bad. It was chipped and the resistor was very dark like it had been burnt but it didn't smell burnt. So I replace the blower resistor with an OE from ford. Still its not blowing. I take the car for a ride the blower starts working after about 15 minutes of driving. I move the blower switch to off then back to 4 the blower doesn't work at all for another 15 minutes. That's the ride back home. Now it quit again after turning the switch off then on. I check the blower for a loose connection no its tight. So tight I cannot get it un plugged. Three days of work and I am frustrated. I have been a mechanic for 25 years now and have never run into this problem. I don't have a schematic or a book on the car and I am winging it. I used alldata. Com at the library but it wasn't much help.

Please let me know when you find out exactly what was wrong. I have had nothing but trouble from my '99 Cougar and one of them is that my blower only works on 4, which even seems weak to me. I have checked the heater fuse, and it was fine. I did try changing it, but I didn't have any luck.

Thank you!

Friday, November 11th, 2011 AT 5:51 AM

2CARPROS KEN

It sounds like the blower motor is bad, here is a guide that will help you test and replace the blower motor.

https://www.2carpros.com/articles/blower-fan-motor-works-on-high-speed-only

Run some tests and get back to us so we can continue helping you.

Best, Ken

Please consider a donation if we helped you
Monday, February 6th, 2017 AT 4:16 AM