ADJUSTING REAR DRUM BRAKES 1999 MAZDA PROTEGE

• donbrew
  • 1999 Mazda Protege

I just replaced the rear brake shoes on my 1999 Mazda Protege. The question is "how do I adjust the rear brakes?" There is no star adjuster, and no access holes in the backing plate. I had to set the adjuster lever all the way loose in order to get the drum on, and now the parking brake does almost nothing.

Saturday, February 19th, 2011 AT 8:36 PM

• Docfixit

Place screwdriver between adjusting plate and quardent. Twist driver push quaderent to backing plate release put on drum operate parking brake they self adjust

Saturday, February 19th, 2011 AT 9:08 PM
  • donbrew

That's what I thought I had done. I guess I must take the drums back off and investigate more. So, it is the parking brake that does the self adjusting, not backing up? Thanks!

Saturday, February 19th, 2011 AT 9:54 PM
  • Docfixit

Yes each time applied will adjust shoes

+1
Saturday, February 19th, 2011 AT 9:58 PM
  • donbrew

Thank, I guess I did something wrong. I will re-do tommorrow when my back feels better.

Saturday, February 19th, 2011 AT 10:08 PM
  • donbrew

Ah Ha, I think I see. Both the ratchet and the adjusting plate should be touching the backing plate? I think I pushed only the ratchet back.

Saturday, February 19th, 2011 AT 10:30 PM
  • Docfixit

You get it adjusted?

Monday, February 21st, 2011 AT 6:35 PM
  • donbrew

Yes, thank you much. It turned out I am a dummy, one of the parking brake cables slipped out of the catch and I could not see it (due to malfunctioning bi-focals). Even though the pic you provided is different from mine, it was enough to figure out. Turns out this job should have been one of the easiest and fastest brake jobs, but I managed to give it 2 days.

Monday, February 21st, 2011 AT 6:45 PM
  • Docfixit

Yea no fun getting old I can't see anything under dash any more and there isn;t enough light underhood

Monday, February 21st, 2011 AT 7:08 PM