ADJUSTING REAR DRUM BRAKES

1999 Mazda Protege

donbrew

February, 19, 2011 AT 8:36 PM

I just replaced the rear brake shoes on my 1999 Mazda Protege. The question is "how do I adjust the rear brakes?" There is no star adjuster, and no access holes in the backing plate. I had to set the adjuster lever all the way loose in order to get the drum on, and now the parking brake does almost nothing.

Docfixit

February, 19, 2011 AT 9:08 PM

Place screwdriver between adjusting plate and quardent. Twist driver push quaderent to backing plate release put on drum operate parking brake they self adjust

donbrew

February, 19, 2011 AT 9:54 PM

That's what I thought I had done. I guess I must take the drums back off and investigate more. So, it is the parking brake that does the self adjusting, not backing up? Thanks!

Docfixit

February, 19, 2011 AT 9:58 PM

Yes each time applied will adjust shoes

donbrew

February, 19, 2011 AT 10:08 PM

Thank, I guess I did something wrong. I will re-do tommorrow when my back feels better.

donbrew

February, 19, 2011 AT 10:30 PM

Ah Ha, I think I see. Both the ratchet and the adjusting plate should be touching the backing plate? I think I pushed only the ratchet back.

Docfixit

February, 21, 2011 AT 6:35 PM

You get it adjusted?

donbrew

February, 21, 2011 AT 6:45 PM

Yes, thank you much. It turned out I am a dummy, one of the parking brake cables slipped out of the catch and I could not see it (due to malfunctioning bi-focals). Even though the pic you provided is different from mine, it was enough to figure out. Turns out this job should have been one of the easiest and fastest brake jobs, but I managed to give it 2 days.

Docfixit

February, 21, 2011 AT 7:08 PM

Yea no fun getting old I can't see anything under dash any more and there isn; t enough light underhood

Brake Shoe/Drum Replacement - Rear
Parking Brake Shoe Replacement Chevy Tahoe
Bleed and Flush Your Brake System Correctly