IT LOOKS LIKE MY GASKETS AT THE TOP OF BOTH MY ...

• mssalet
  • 1999 Lexus GS 300

It looks like my gaskets at the top of both my front struts are leaking. I have asked two repair shops what it would cost to replace them and have gotten two dramatically different cost estimates ( $550 vs $1100). What should be a reasonable cost for the parts and the labor?

Thursday, January 31st, 2013 AT 2:16 PM

• gmtech
  • 553 posts

I guess the price depends on how much the part is. Generally when the struts are leaking you replace the entire assembly. Also due to the age the strut bearings and or springs may get replaced as well. And you are also looking a couple of hours labor and it depends on the shop rate. I would say $550 is a good deal but like I said depends on what is being replaced and the cost of parts

Thursday, January 31st, 2013 AT 2:42 PM
  • mssalet

OEM Struts run $90-120 and mounts run $40-50. So $350 for parts and $150 for labor? Is this a repair I can do myself? Do you know of a do-it -yourself repair shop I can use in Atlanta where I can mount the car and use some of their tools? I am not a mechanic but am game.

Thursday, January 31st, 2013 AT 3:23 PM
  • gmtech
  • 553 posts

Unless the parts complete, pre assembled like strut, spring and mount together you will need the proper spring compressor. Not something you want to mess with unless you know what you are doing. You should have an alignment afterwards

Thursday, January 31st, 2013 AT 3:48 PM
  • KHLow2008

http://www.2carpros.com/articles/replace-struts

Check above link for more information.

Thursday, January 31st, 2013 AT 8:45 PM