RPM UP ITSELF TO 3,000

1999 Kia Sportage

Calista_2011

February, 10, 2012 AT 3:15 PM

Recently, its rpm will "up" itself while I'm driving. Sometimes, it will "change gear itself normally" but sometimes it won't. The rmp will "up" itself without "extra accelerator" to 3,000rpm. It makes me worry. Could any expert solve this for me please?

Wrenchtech

February, 10, 2012 AT 4:18 PM

Is the check engine light coming on at all?

Calista_2011

February, 11, 2012 AT 1:56 PM

Tks Wrenchtech. The check engine light not appear at all. But the ABS light will appear when I hit hump or uneven road. How should I solve the "rpm" problem? Please help.

Wrenchtech

February, 11, 2012 AT 3:13 PM

First eliminate all vacuum or air leaks in the system. You may have a bad IAC ( idle air control) but try cleaning the throttle body first. Remove the intake snorkel, have someone hold the throttle wide open for you and scrub the back side of the throttle plate and surrounding bore with an old tooth brush and some carb cleaner. Be sure to spray some into the small holes next to the throttle plate. That should help stabilize the idle. If it still has a problem, replace the IAC.

Calista_2011

February, 12, 2012 AT 11:13 AM

Will try & get back to you soon. Tks Wrenchtech.

Vacuum Leak Test and Repair - All Cars