I HAVE THE SAME PROBLEM THAT "JESSIES" HAS ON YOUR FORUM

1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee

vagabondo

April, 18, 2012 AT 4:01 PM

The postings on your forum for "jessiesjeep" has the same symptoms as my jeep has. Your last post that I could read on hers was October, 2011. Did that post continue until it was resolved? Both the same year models. If you have more on that client, it would possibly save postings and time.

Wiring Issue?

Wrenchtech

April, 18, 2012 AT 4:42 PM

We have no idea what that thread was even about so you need to start from scratch here.

vagabondo

April, 18, 2012 AT 5:30 PM

Most of the post were answered by "caradiodoc", any way I'm a ex-auto mech trained on Mercedes, BMWs, and a host of others but haven't actively work on much of anything for 10/15 years. I currently have a 1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 4.0 auto 2wd with 94,000 miles. It was intermittent in stalling, shutting down, misfiring, hard start, all the things that this model is noted for. I replaced the in-tank fuel pump a and the crankshaft ps a few years ago when it started stalling, etc. It did fine until a few months ago it began doing it again, check engine light on. It stalled numerous times last month coming back from a 15 mile trip and was lucky to get it into my drive. I have replace the crank sensor since then. It did fine for just a few days and started same thing. Replaced ECM and flashed at the dealer. Engine light still on indicated 1391 and code 352. Replaced camshaft position sensor, coil pack, and throttle position sensor. It start right up and ran fine up on test drive until engine warmed up and started stalling, spitting, sputtering, and popping back thru intake when accelerator pressed down.

I'm like most Jeep problem owners, I have had it with this Chrysler money maker. I'm a disabled Vietnam Veteran and can't afford to be stranded out on the highway or needed my car for medical emergency.

Like others, this is a nice car inside and out or I wouldn't even be posting this message.

Wrenchtech

April, 18, 2012 AT 6:27 PM

You're getting a code for intermittent loss of Crank or Cam signal. If you want to try something, put another Crank sensor in it. Other than that, you are going to have to determine what function/s drop out at the moment it dies and diagnose it from there. You could have a wiring issue for the Crank/Cam sensor also

vagabondo

April, 18, 2012 AT 7:08 PM

Just started it after sitting all night and it started right up and ran perfect around the block several times (I am afraid to drive it any further) even on complete acceleration. Parked in my drive and idled, shut it off a couple of times until it got up to operating temp and then it started to idle rough coupled with hard starting and rev up missing and popping and sputtering. Engine light came on code PO 353 "Ignition Coil C Primary/Secondary Circuit". Cleared that and started up again, no engine light but tested code 1391. I am letting it cool off now. It did not outright die on me this particular time.

Wrenchtech

April, 18, 2012 AT 7:10 PM

Yes, sounds like you have a bad coil also but that is a secondary issue to the dieing.

vagabondo

April, 18, 2012 AT 8:43 PM

Replaced coil yesterday. On my second crank sensor in 6 months, new cam sensor, new throttle position sensor, and new Champion plugs. Ran out of ideas, that why I contacted you.

Wrenchtech

April, 18, 2012 AT 8:46 PM

It's not a matter of ideas. It a matter of systematically finding the problem in the circuit. Just because you replaced a sensor a few months ago doesn't mean anything. These cheap Chinese made parts fail all the time. The problem could be in the related wiring too. That's not something I can find from here. Someone there has to find out.

Brake Pads and Rotor Replacement - Front Ford
Fuel Pump Replacement
Oil Change & Filter Replacement Ford Taurus
Engine Oil Change and Filter Mercedes Benz
Brake Pad & Rotor Replacement Mini Cooper
Oil Change and Filter Replacement BMW 525i