BRAKE WARNING LIGHT COMMING AND ABS NOT WORKING.

1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee

wudaal

August, 8, 2011 AT 10:12 AM

I have the brake warning light ON on the dash, and the ABS light does not work at all, even when I switch to ignite. I also have noticed that the ABS is not working in hard braking.

Wrenchtech

August, 8, 2011 AT 12:44 PM

I would suspect that either the bulb burned out or someone disabled the light intentionally. You'll need to have the codes read from the ABS module next.

wudaal

August, 8, 2011 AT 5:58 PM

Thanks for your reply.
There are no codes at all, and the ABS seems to be not working as I have noticed that the tires locks during hard braking. How can I check if it is intentionally disable.

Wrenchtech

August, 8, 2011 AT 6:40 PM

I don't know how you concluded that there are no codes. That can only be checked with a professional scan tool not a code reader. The light should be coming on for at least an bulb check when started up.

wudaal

August, 8, 2011 AT 10:42 PM

I am using android torque, and the built in system to check codes, I dont know any other scan tool, if there is please let me know. The ABS light does not light up during the bulb check when all other lights do. And the ABS system is also not working.

Wrenchtech

August, 8, 2011 AT 10:59 PM

Those generic code readers made for the DIYer aren't even a fraction of what a professional scan tool is. I doubt you can even get codes, never mind data from the ABS module. They are for the generic side of the PCM only.

wudaal

August, 8, 2011 AT 11:11 PM

Professional tool will give me something more than code? Would you recommend any such tool that I can get from ebay. What shall I expect from it in solving my problem.
Is there any other way to find the problem with my car's ABS. I guess my car met accident before I purchased it; as I can see scratches on the right rim, and then as you suggested the mechanic disabled the bulb, leaving the ABS system unfixed. Shall I try to check the bulb? Is it easy job? Can I do it myself?

Wrenchtech

August, 8, 2011 AT 11:18 PM

I don't think you want to make the jump to professional. You paid around $35 for that code reader. I have a very basic, professional scan tool and I paid over $5,000. The yearly required updates are $500 each and $1,000 if you miss one. You just need to have a shop diagnose it for you. Just having the scan tool doesn't give you the required knowledge to understand what you're reading.

wudaal

August, 9, 2011 AT 9:35 AM

Well, you are right. Here we have two kind of mechanics, a cheap one will not use any computer or code readers or scanners, so you do not feel satisfied as you dont know and he himself does not know if the problem is fixed or not. Second the expensive one how use scanners and computers but so expensive that one can not afford, second thing they will couple your problem with a lot of other things so that to charge you high. I think I will purchase an actron CP9449 ABSbrake scan to reach to the problem first then I will pay a visit. What do you say?

wudaal

September, 11, 2011 AT 7:33 AM

Hi,
so I got the codes are they are as follows: 9 Hydraulic pump circuit failure
17 Brake fluid level switch
2 LF wheel speed/signal failure
3 RF sensor circuit failure
12 G - Sw failure
13 Undervoltage
6 LR wheel speed/signal failure
14 cluster fault
15 Bus communication fault
8 RR wheel speed/signal failure

any suggestion?

Wrenchtech

September, 11, 2011 AT 1:04 PM

It looks like you are receiving nearly every code possible. I would try clearing them first ad see what immediately resets. Check all the power supplies into the ABS module since one of the codes is an under voltage code but you may ultimately have a module problem.

Brake Pad and Rotor Replacement
Brake Pad/Rotor Replacement Honda Rear
Brake Pads and Rotor Replacement - Front Ford
Brake Pad/Rotor Replacement - Front
Brake Pads/Rotor Replacement Chevy Silverado
Brake Pad/Rotor Replacement Mercedes ML