DIED

1999 Jeep Cherokee

stephyg

My jeep died this morning after I drove about 3 blocks from my house and was stopped at a stop sign. I tried to turn it over but it would not. I put it in neutral to puch it backwards out of the intersection and tried to start it again and with a little help from the gas pettal I was able to start it long enough to get it out of the way of trafic. Do you have any suggestions as to what the problem could be? The battery light said that it was fine. Thanks! Steph

Ernest Clark

February, 19, 2011 AT 1:59 AM

First, if you have a check engine light on, you should have the computer scanned for codes. If there are any, send them to me.

Next, your engine could've died from several different reasons. Ignition, fuel, loss of compression, failed computer/sensors. And when you say "doesn't turn over", did you mean the starter no longer works either?

To check a no start, you first need to make sure voltage is getting to the starter via the ignition key. If yes, but the starter won't turn, then it needs to be replaced.

If starter does turn, then you need to first check for spark at the plug. If none, you diagnose the ignition system until you isolate the reason why. If yes, move on to fuel at injectors and repeat the diagnosis.

Crankshaft Position Sensor Replace Chevrolet
Crank Angle Sensor Replacement Mercedes Benz
Fuel Pump Replacement Ford Mustang