1999 JAGUAR XJ8 VANDEN PLAS

• Klclynn
  • 1999 JAGUAR XJ8

My boyfriends 1999 Jaguar XJ8 Vanden Plas' battery does not seem to hold a charge. The car sits all winter long and come spring time I have to jump it to get it running. Last year was the first year I had the car and had to do that and it seemed to work fine after that one jump start. Now this year after jump starting it the one time, it does not want to start again. All other accessories in the car seem to work, but it won't start unless I jump start it again and then once I turn the car off it won't start again unless jump started. I believe this could be a bad battery needing replacement but am wondering if there could be some other problem. If someone could please respond I would appreciate it.

Thank you.

Sunday, May 1st, 2011 AT 8:07 PM

• Rasmataz

If the battery is load tested and okay-have the starter motor, starter relay, clutch switch or transmission range switch and igniton switch checked out -double check connections at the battery and starter

Sunday, May 1st, 2011 AT 8:15 PM
  • CraigInPA

If you're going to long-term store a car like an XJ8, you need to put a battery tender on the battery. Otherwise you'll find it dead after 2-3 weeks. You can buy an inexpensive one at Wal-Mart, about $20. You didn't say how old the battery is, but it sounds like it's at least 3 years old, and probably older.

Take the battery to your local auto parts store and have them load test it. You'll undoubtedly find that it's 1) not charged, 2) not taking a charge, and 3) needs to be replaced.

Thursday, July 21st, 2011 AT 5:12 PM
  • Klclynn

We went and got a new battery and by gosh that seems to have been the problem. Thank you for the responses. The advice about the battery tender is great since we don't plan on driving it during the winter and here in Minnesota those can be quite long sometimes. Thanks again!

Saturday, July 23rd, 2011 AT 12:59 AM