THERE IS AN OIL LEAK FROM RIGHT SIDE OF ENGINE

1999 Infiniti G20

jamesbarajas

There is an oil leak from right side of engine. Oil has gotten really low yesterday but oil pressure light didn't come on. I also noticed that oil only seems to be leaking when car is running. I checked the valve cover gasket, oil pan gasket and bolt, and oil filter and they are all good. There is oil on the water pump/ps pulleys and belt but not alternator/ac belt. No blue smoke from exhaust either. I recently changed the oil and replaced the oil pan gasket. Still leaking. My question is what is causing this and a rough estimate of the parts needed to fix the problem?

jamesbarajas

January, 30, 2013 AT 1:55 AM

Please note, oil leaking from right side of engine when sittinginside

blaze45

January, 30, 2013 AT 3:31 AM

Pressure wash the engine while it is running (then drive it a bit and do some more investigating) to get a better idea of where it is leaking from. It could be a cam seal? See if you can get a better idea of where the oil is leaking from.

jamesbarajas

January, 30, 2013 AT 6:45 AM

I will definitely do that maybe with degreaser instead. Its not an internal oil leak because none is being burned, its just dripping a significant amount on the road. I will definitely clean it up and check though. Thank you, I appreciate it.

Most likely to be from the crank pulley front seal.

jamesbarajas

January, 31, 2013 AT 3:11 AM

Thanks. Is that fairly easy to replace? Would that be on MITCHELL or ALLDATA?

blaze45

January, 31, 2013 AT 6:53 AM

It should be on both if Im not mistaken.

For replacing the crank seal, that is not a difficut job. After removal of the drive belts and crank pulley, you can replace the seal.

Crankshaft Main Seal Replace - Front
Oil Change & Filter Replacement Acura TL
Oil Change & Filter Replacement Chevrolet
Oil Change & Filter Replacement Honda Accord
Engine Oil Change and Filter BMW 5 Series