My car is******** and stalling when stopped at a light

DIANACOLLINS
  • 1999 HONDA CRV
Jerking shaking
Sunday, December 19th, 2010 AT 4:28 AM

KHLOW2008
Check the sparks plugs and wires, Seems the engine is misfiring resulting in the shaking and stalling.
Sunday, December 19th, 2010 AT 10:53 AM
DIANACOLLINS
I did that yesterday. My nephew suggested that Ishould try injector cleaner or change the fuel filter. I don't even know where that is. :)
Sunday, December 19th, 2010 AT 2:47 PM
KHLOW2008
What is the idling speed?
Is the Check Engine Lamp indicating?
Was any repairs done prior to this occurring?
Do you have overheating and/or coolant losses issues?
Sunday, December 19th, 2010 AT 3:34 PM
DIANACOLLINS
I have replaced the spark plugs and spark plug wires. The Auto Zone guy thinks I need to replace the distributor cap and rotor. I took the cap off but can't get the rotor off. I can feel or see anything holding the rotor in place. Help.
Monday, December 20th, 2010 AT 3:51 AM
KHLOW2008
There are 2 tpyes of rotor. One has a screw to hold it in place. Look behind the rotor, opposite the metal end. Crank the engine until the rotor is facing away from the recess portion of the inner shield and check the recess area for a screw holding the rotor.

If no screw is found, you have to use 2 screwdrivers to pry it evenly from both sides to get it off. The inner shield can be used as leverage but you have to be careful to avoid cracking it. Sometimes it gets stuck real solid and the rotor would break leaving the inner part stuck to the distributor shaft.

Misfiring can be due to various causes and replacing parts without verifying if the part is faulty is going to be costly.
Monday, December 20th, 2010 AT 11:48 AM
DIANACOLLINS
Got the distributor and rotor replaced. Runs well except for when I'm stopped at a light. I give up. Time to take it to a professional.
Tuesday, December 21st, 2010 AT 12:46 AM
KHLOW2008
That should be a fault with the idling system. Cleaning the throttle body and IAC and readjusting the idling speed would normally cure the problem.
Tuesday, December 21st, 2010 AT 12:42 PM
DIANACOLLINS
I have no idea what you mean by that? Is it something I can do?
Tuesday, December 21st, 2010 AT 11:59 PM
KHLOW2008
You did not specify what is wrong when stopped at a light. Is the idling speed too low or is it misfiring?

If idling speed is too low, you should be able to get the job done easily. Remove air intake hose and spray carb cleaner into the throttle body. Use a tooth brush to scrub the interior of the throttle body, paying attention to the area where the throttle plates closes. A rag would be useful to wipe off the grime. Spray carb cleaner until interior is clean. On top of throttle body there is the idle adjusr screw. Remove it and spry carb cleaner when you were spraying into the throttle body.

EACV (IAC)is located behind intake manifold.
Remove holding bolts and spray carb cleaner into the ports of the IAC and let it soak for a few minutes.
Use carb cleaner clean the IAC till it does not much signs of dirt inside.

Reinstall IAC and throttle adjust screw. Fully tighten the idle adjust screw till it stops, DO NOT force the scre when it reaches its end, back off 1/2 to 3/4 turn.

Start engine and let it warm up to operating temperature and check idling speed, adjust if necessary.
Wednesday, December 22nd, 2010 AT 12:23 PM
DIANACOLLINS
Thank you so much for your help. I will try that.
Thursday, December 23rd, 2010 AT 5:38 PM