I WAS IN THE MOUNTAINS RECENTLY AND MY CAR ...

1999 Honda CRV

bcspatterson

February, 7, 2013 AT 1:58 PM

I was in the mountains recently and my car started making a groan/whine which I found out was the power steering system. I intended replaced the inlet o ring last night as that was a commonly know issue with the groan/whine. When I spoke to my wife she said that the power steering was now completely gone so I made haste to get the car and replace the o ring. After that not working I upped the anti and replaced the pump. I noticed that the old pump when removed was very loud when the shaft was spun manually after removal so I traded the core in and made the repair. I replaced the steering fluid and proceeded to attempt removing the air from the system and the system was now quite. When I tried to drive the car there was still no power steering. I noticed in another article you mentioned flow in the reservoir I do not see that currently. I was wondering if I should replace that as well or am I barking up the wrong tree.

February, 7, 2013 AT 2:26 PM

Were the pump vanes installed correctly?
Reverse installing them can cause a no pressure situation. Was the pressure relief valve checked? If the valve is stuck open, pressure would not build up. It is best to have the pump pressure tested before going on as the symptoms indicates a pump fault. As to the reservoir, drain it and check the strainer/mesh inside. If it is dirty or clogged, you would have to replace it.

bcspatterson

February, 7, 2013 AT 3:12 PM

The pump was a complete, sealed ready to go new or refurbished pump from Auto zone. I did not check the pressure relief valve as it was new. Should I have? The reservoir is definitely dirty looking.

February, 7, 2013 AT 3:23 PM

The replacement pump could be faulty. If the fluid level in reservoir is high you might not notice much movement in the fluids. Keep level slightly below minimum to test.

Try cleaning or replacing the reservoir first. Even if the system is working correctly, a clogged strainer within the reservoir would cause premature failure of the pump.

February, 7, 2013 AT 3:25 PM

Lift up front of vehicle and with engine running, turn the steering from end to end a few times to purge the air in system and retest.

bcspatterson

February, 7, 2013 AT 3:27 PM

Thank you I will try that this evening when I get home!

Power Steering Fluid Flush Chevrolet Blazer
Replace Tie Rod End
Power Steering Box Replacement Chevy Tahoe
Power Steering Fluid Check Acura TSX