It cranks but no start.

NOTMIKESELLERS
  • 1999 HONDA CIVIC
I recently purchased my vehicle and it runs good, however, after driving a short distance and shutting off the vehicle it won't start back up. It cranks but no start. Once the engine cools down it will start right up. Now from my own personal tests the ignition module is good, when the car doesn't start I'm getting a good spark as well as good fuel pressure. A shop told me that my coil was also good. Now my car is throwing a code for the Idle Air Control Valve but I wasn't to sure if that would affect startup. I noticed that no matter what my radiator fan won't come on but it does work because I hooked it up to a power source. My temperature gauge in the dash reads a normal temperature.
Wednesday, April 10th, 2013 AT 7:52 PM

ASEMASTER6371
How did you check the module?

I suspect a distributor failure. Very common failure for this model

Wednesday, April 10th, 2013 AT 10:32 PM
NOTMIKESELLERS
I had it tested at Autozone and then Oreily's, also the shop I have taken it to replaced the ignition module, main relay, and idle air control valve, same problem. They said the next step is a whole new distributor as you recommend. Any other possible causes? Thanks!
Thursday, April 11th, 2013 AT 3:11 AM
ASEMASTER6371
Nope, they finally hit it on the button after spending a lot of your money

Thursday, April 11th, 2013 AT 10:15 AM
TODDHERRON
  • 1999 HONDA CIVIC
1999 Honda Civic 4 cyl Two Wheel Drive Automatic 147K miles

My daughter's 99 Honda Civic has a radiator that leaks from the top at the radiator cap connection. I have replaced two radiator caps. It has over heated several times, but not to the point of engine damage. I hope. I have odered a new radiator and replaced the thermostat. In the mean time my daughter was driving a short distance and the car hesitated and decreased power as the acclerator was depressed. After giving it gas a few minutes later it ran ok again. She then parked the car and turned it off. It was not over heating at that time. However, when she turned the car back on and tried to start it, It just turned over with no results. After doing a little research, I decided to replace the rotor button, cap, ignition coil. And ignition control module. It still just turns over but will not start. Is there a fuse that might be blown. I pulled the spark plug wire out of the valve cover off the spark plug and cranked the engine. As it turned over, and looking at the connector on the spark plug wire, I saw no spark.
Any ideas before I take it to a repair shop?

Todd Herron
Saturday, August 10th, 2019 AT 11:23 AM (Merged)
DOCFIXIT
Hi
Check to see if rotor turns when engine is cranked.
Let me know
Thanks for donate
TODDHERRON
It does
and I noticed water dripping from the bottom corner of the head.
Blown head gasket
I then had it towed to the shop
DOCFIXIT
Very likely with history aluminum heads warp easily.A compression test will tell.
HONDADX
  • 1999 HONDA CIVIC
I turned on my honda and added antifreeze I dont know why my smartass pulled a spark plug wire and I put it back it keep running then it died out of now where. I tried turning it on and it didnt start. It turns over but no start. Someone told me its a bad fuel pump? Its not getting gas. I dont know how it would be those things if I drove it fine last night. Im assuming it has to do with me pulling the plug.
HONDADX
I did some research and it said that if I run my engine and I pull a spark plug I can blow the coils inside the distributer? Is this the solution?
ASEMASTER6371
It is possible and makes more sense than the pump. I would have it checked first to verify. When you crank it, does it spark at the plug?

HONDADX
Ok the check if it sparks can I take the plug out with the spark plug then crank it? Someone had toold me to ground then? How would you do that? How would you suggest for the following procedures
ASEMASTER6371
Remove the wire and put a screw driver in the wire and hold it close to the valve cover and have someone crank the motor

HONDADX
Which wire the one that leads to the distributor
KHLOW2008
Any of the spark plug wires would do.
HONDADX
Thank god! You can to my question KHLow2008! Ok so ima unplug the wire from the distributor and place it near the valve cover and crank it? Do it for each one and if one doesnt crank than its my wiress? I dont get why it would be them but someone else had told me that it was my ignition coil?
SUNCARS
  • 1999 HONDA CIVIC
History is that electrical system, lights, engine etc pulsed. The harness that rubs on the manifold bracket was repaired but still have pulse. Have had grounding issues, car wouldn't start grounds corroded at body/frame, cleaned up and additional grounds added. Car started and ran fine but still have pulse. Recently while driving car instantly went to half power, sluggish then died. Wouldn't start seemed to "skip" when turning i.E. Did not sound like it does normally when starting as if no spark. Diagnosis revealed that distributor was not generating spark. Replaced distributor with reman, did not replace rotor or cap, both appeared to be in ok shape and based on way car died it seemed to be something that developed immediately i.E. Not a rotor or cap wear type issue. Car ran fine up to that instant. After putting new distributor in, the car turned over normally - sounded normal - but would not start. Shortly later went back to skip type turnover, checked for spark from spark plug cables - no spark. Fear that something is killing the dist. Could short in the h/a to the distributor kill distributor? Car has been in two different shops multiple times and no one can diagnose the pulse problem. The distributor problem was correct but I don't think it is the only issue.
-1
KHLOW2008
Hi suncars,

Thank you for the donation.

Pulsing of the electrical system could be due to the alternator, PCM or ignition switch.

Was the charging rate tested? If charging rate seems out of specs, check the harmonic balancer if equipped. Note if the crank pully is moving in a wavy pattern and check alternator belt tension.

Distributor can only be damaged if the fault is internal. Did you test if power is present at the distributor with ignition switch turned ON? If yes, test if power is available while cranking.

A faulty ignition switch can result in power supply disruption to the distributor while cranking. There was a safety recall on the igniton switch and it can cause intermittent stalling and non starting.

Did you test if the rotor is turning while cranking? Hope it is not a bad timing belt.

Does the Check Engine Lamp comes on and goes off after 2 seconds when ignition switch is turned on?
+1
KHLOW2008
When testing for sparks, the best is to get get a spark plug tester. The next best is to get a spark plug and plug it into the plug wire and hold it to any part of the engine. DO NOT attempt to the ground it at the battery negative termnals.

Get a helper to crank the engine and note if there are sparks. It should be bright instead of dull orange.

If you don't get any sparks, it most probably is the ignition coil.

What you did does not affect a good ignition coil but it would kill a failing one.

http://www.2carpros.com/articles/car-cranks-but-wont-start

Whatever test you have done so far, let me know the complete details the above link explains how to go about.

SUNCARS
The alternator has been tested and reportedly ok.

Where should I check for power at the dist? At h/a, plug at unit?

I checked the timing belt and it is intact.

The engine light does come on for 2 seconds when switch is turned on.

Thanks for the help
HONDADX
I tried it like ASEMaster6371 and I got no spark from the plugs so I took out the distri. Coil and replaced it. Turns on but chokes a little still when turning it on.

Sponsored links