My 1993 Honda Civic keeps overheating. I have scoured the internet to find the solution but have always come up with the same basic answers. Relay in the underhood fusebox (fine), cooling switch on the thermostat housing (fine), thermostat (for overheating, but still fine), fan motor (fine).
I believe it may be a wiring problem but it seems unlikely. How do I jump the switch to the fan motor? If you can jump it from there, why is there a relay at all? I will rewire the relay and switch if necessary, but they join with 50 or more wires and don't want to take the chance of using the wrong wire.
I wired a rocker switch to turn my fan on but since my finger is not a temperature switch, there is no guarantee of correct timing of the fan. This is not a head gasket/core plug problem. I do not have AC.
This is definitely some sort of electrical problem. Usually, wires don't just "go dead". I do all of the work on my car myself, and will have no problem understanding (though maybe through more research) very advanced technical information. What can I do here? If I wire the fan directly to the switch on the thermometer housing, will it run all the time? Will it have a problem considering that the relay will be unused? Or is the relay used as the power supply for the switch? Or is the relay "a delay mechanism"?
I have a Haynes manual but the information is limited. I also have a mechanics detailed manual but finding specific information is very difficult and I have no luck.
I don't mind wiring the fan it to the switch or relay, I just don't want to do anything dangerous (electrical fire, damage of electrical parts from bypassing important parts, etc.)
I thank you in advance, information on this particular subject seems nowhere to be found, as they all seem to only go up to relay, switch, motor, thermostat, radiator & cap. For the guys who have done all of that, I hope we all can get an answer to save these people money!
have the same problem?
Friday, June 19th, 2009 AT 3:01 AM