HARD SHIFT TRANSMISSION

1999 Honda Civic

DaltonMacalla

September, 9, 2012 AT 9:26 PM

Just had my transmission rebuilt on a 99' auto honda civic lx by aamco transmission who is pretty reputable and I wanted a good warranty. Is there a break in period for the new transmission parts.I get a late shift when shifting. Like in 3rd gear it shifts around 3000 rpm. Or could this be related to something else

September, 9, 2012 AT 9:42 PM

Shifting is relative to vehicle speed, accelerator pedal position and other signals so there is no fixed engine rpm for it to up shift.

There is no break-in period and if you feel something is not right, it is best to get AAMCO to have a look at it.

DaltonMacalla

September, 9, 2012 AT 9:56 PM

Thank you. So if there was a problem it would be with the transmission?

September, 9, 2012 AT 10:06 PM

It might not be. The transmission is electronically controlled and the controls or wiring can be the cause as well.

If the Malfunction Indicator Light is illuminated or the D4 light blinks while driving, then an error has been detected. You would need a scan to retreive the trouble codes to understand what could be wrong.

DaltonMacalla

September, 9, 2012 AT 10:42 PM

There has been no indicator light. Maybe the tps?

September, 9, 2012 AT 10:46 PM

No indicator lights indicates means no electrical or control faults detected.

TPS would throw a code but if the adjustments are slightly out of specs, that is possible for causing harsh shifting.

DaltonMacalla

September, 9, 2012 AT 10:48 PM

Okay cool thanks so I'm going to get a new tps and call them. If it wasn't fixed could it cause a large problem? Because it's not shifting bad just a little high and I have a warranty for a year anyway with the tranny

DaltonMacalla

September, 9, 2012 AT 11:02 PM

Also could a transmission relearn help this? Or does it even need it?

September, 9, 2012 AT 11:25 PM

Don't change the TPS. In fact don't change anything yet. Get AAMCO to give it a test and they can put on a scan tool to test the TPS.

Some relearning is requirted and if you just had the car back, drive it around for a while first.

DaltonMacalla

September, 9, 2012 AT 11:32 PM

Cool thank you so much!

September, 10, 2012 AT 12:05 AM

You're welcome.

Pulling an Auto Trans? Easy Instructions