ACCELERATOR CABLE EXTREMELY LOOSE

• williamhemmons
  • 1999 Honda Accord

4cyl
Son just bought car and working on it. Idles very slow so he went to check cables to adjust but the accelerator cable is extremely loose and the nut adjustment is run out completely. From the pics in a shop manual, not able to visualize how the cable is attached to the throttle assembly. It tells how to remove/install but cannot visualize how cable attaches to assembly. It is hard to see the back side where the cable goes. Is there a part diagram that might help see how it attaches. Is cable wrapped around a pulley of some sort.

Wednesday, October 10th, 2012 AT 2:40 AM

• ASEMaster6371

Yes. It is wrapped around the throttle body acuator.

It sounds like it is stretched and needs to be replaced.

Wednesday, October 10th, 2012 AT 2:43 AM
  • KHLow2008

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IYQg_k9WCFI

Check the above link. It should help.

As to the low idling, do not use the throttle cable to get it up. There must be some sort of free for the cable. Clean the throttle body and IAC to rectify the low idling problem.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L788jKEVblY&feature=related

Wednesday, October 10th, 2012 AT 2:52 AM
  • JoshuaAEmmons

I am the son of WilliamHemmons. I also noticed that when its in idle it runs smooth. But then when I hit the gas to rev up and then let the petal go it goes down to about 500 rpm and feels like its about to cut off. Could that also be the problem with the accelerator cable? Or could that be another problem?

Friday, October 12th, 2012 AT 4:23 AM
  • KHLow2008

That would be another problem. The idle control system is not functioning correctly and most common causes are dirty air passages of the idle control system. Cleaning the throttle body and IAC usually solves the problem.

If problem persists, check the valve clearances. If they are too tight, same would occur.

Friday, October 12th, 2012 AT 12:57 PM