I AM INTERESTED IN PURCHASING A CAR WITH A FEW PROBLEMS

1999 Holden Vectra

sianpie

June, 1, 2012 AT 7:07 PM

But don't know whether it is financially viable. Can you help please?

•OIL LEAKS UNDER THE ENGINE AREA.
•TRACTION CONTROL, ABS and BRAKE LIGHT ON THE DASH ARE STAYING ON.
•SPEEDOMETER and ODOMETER ARE NOT WORKING AT ALL.
•HOOD LINING IS STARTING TO SAG.
•MOTOR DOES NOT IDLE CORRECTLY WHEN WARM.
•WARNING LIGHTS COMING ON FOR ENGINE MANAGEMENT CONTROL

caradiodoc

June, 1, 2012 AT 8:23 PM

If you don't know how to fix those things now, that isn't going to change by becoming the owner of the car. All of those things could have easy inexpensive fixes but they could also be very costly to fix. To start with, the diagnostics could take some time and that's what you're paying a mechanic for. You have to consider the cost of diagnostics into the cost of buying the car, and that is unknown, THEN you have to add in the cost of repair, and that too is unknown. If this car is being sold by a dealer, why didn't they fix these things first? If it's being sold by an individual, there's a reason they're giving up on it instead of fixing those things them self.

Not all of these things happened all at once either. Sounds like the previous owner just ignored things as they broke. Makes you wonder what else is wrong that they don't know about or aren't telling you. It sounds like all they told you is things they knew they couldn't hide. Unless you get it at a real good price and are willing to spend a lot of money fixing it, I recommend looking for something else with fewer problems.

sianpie

June, 1, 2012 AT 9:26 PM

Thank you for the quick response. I'm bidding on the car on ebay, and I will not exceed $1300. As you will be aware, a Vectra in good condition sells for approx $5000. I'm hoping if I win the bid, the repairs will not exceed the value of the car. Surely the repairs would not be more than $3700?

ABS Computer Replacement
Wonder How Traction Control Works?