AIR CONDITIONING ONLY COOLS FOR ABOUT 10 MINUTES UPON STARTING

1999 GMC Jimmy

GBorden

August, 30, 2012 AT 8:10 PM

1999 GMC Jimmy LT V6 4.3L Vortec with 70,000 Miles 2 door 2WD. A/C works fine for about 10 minutes or so, then starts blowing ambient temperature air. If I turn it off and let it set for awhile (ie. 1 hour) and start up it, it will blow cold air again for about 10 minutes then starts blowing ambient temp air again. This happens every time I drive it. I have to add 1-2 cans of coolant every summer, but this problem only started a couple months ago. Is there some type of thermostat somewhere that is going bad? Thanks.

A/c 02 L 300

Ac Will Not Turn On!!!

saturntech9

August, 30, 2012 AT 8:15 PM

Will it start blowing cold while driving again?

GBorden

August, 30, 2012 AT 8:41 PM

Yes, as I mentioned originally, I can let it set for a bit, then start driving again and it will blow cold for about 10 minutes, then will gradually over a few seconds just blow ambient temperature air. The blower continues to work fine. About the shortest period I've tried to let it set turned off before driving again is about 1 1/2 hours and it did the same thing after about 10 minutes.

saturntech9

August, 30, 2012 AT 8:44 PM

Sounds like the engine is getting too warm causing the pressures to become to high and cycle the compressor off.

Cabin Air Filter Replacement
Cabin Air Filter Replacement Porsche 911
Cabin Air Filter Replacement Honda Civic
Cabin Air Filter Replacement
Cabin Air Filter Replacement Chevrolet Tahoe
Air Conditioner Condenser Fan Relay Replace