Air Conditioning only cools for about 10 minutes upon starting

GBORDEN
  • 1999 GMC JIMMY

1999 GMC Jimmy LT V6 4.3L Vortec with 70,000 Miles 2 door 2WD. A/C works fine for about 10 minutes or so, then starts blowing ambient temperature air. If I turn it off and let it set for awhile (ie. 1 hour) and start up it, it will blow cold air again for about 10 minutes then starts blowing ambient temp air again. This happens every time I drive it. I have to add 1-2 cans of coolant every summer, but this problem only started a couple months ago. Is there some type of thermostat somewhere that is going bad? Thanks.

Thursday, August 30th, 2012 AT 8:10 PM

SATURNTECH9

Will it start blowing cold while driving again?

Thursday, August 30th, 2012 AT 8:15 PM
GBORDEN

Yes, as I mentioned originally, I can let it set for a bit, then start driving again and it will blow cold for about 10 minutes, then will gradually over a few seconds just blow ambient temperature air. The blower continues to work fine. About the shortest period I've tried to let it set turned off before driving again is about 1 1/2 hours and it did the same thing after about 10 minutes.

Thursday, August 30th, 2012 AT 8:41 PM
SATURNTECH9

Sounds like the engine is getting too warm causing the pressures to become to high and cycle the compressor off.

Please consider a donation if we helped you
Thursday, August 30th, 2012 AT 8:44 PM