I HAVE A BENT PUSHROD THAT WON'T COME OUT. DO I NEED TO TEAR IT DOWN TO REMOVE IT.

1999 Ford Windstar

aceintx

November, 26, 2011 AT 5:31 PM

I heard a tapping on the valve cover, after putting in Mystery marvel oil it did not go away. I took the valve cover off and noticed a loose pushrod. I removed the lifter and the pushrod seems bent and won't come out. What do I need to do.

Jacobandnickolas

November, 26, 2011 AT 7:41 PM

It needs to come out. Can you force it out?

aceintx

November, 26, 2011 AT 11:04 PM

I've tried pulling it and it feels either too bent or something on the bottom is keeping it from coming out.

mhpautos

November, 27, 2011 AT 2:53 AM

It may be stuck in a collapsed lifter, what engine is this? Normally there should be enough clearance to drag a bent push rod out, I am concerned about the lifter as well.

aceintx

November, 27, 2011 AT 2:03 PM

3.8L V6 You may be right, because it feels like something is keeping it from coming out. Sounds like it will need to be opened up to get to these parts. I was trying to sell it since I don't drive it and this happens, now it is worth less since it needs more repairs than normal.

aceintx

November, 27, 2011 AT 7:14 PM

I took the head off and the pushrod was just bent, nothing was stuck on it. I straightened it and pulled it out. The lifter looks OK but I'm going to replace it. I will now replace the pushrod and lifter and put it back together. Thanks for the ideas and help.

Camshaft Angle Sensor Replacement P0015
Engine Cylinder Compression Test - All Cars
Engine Oil Change and Filter Honda Element