3.8 MOTOR NOISE

• Kvn4
  • 1999 FORD WINDSTAR

99 windstar 3.8 motor 123569 miles has an engine noise that sounds like a deep heat shield rattle when idle but goes away while driving, is it time for new motor. Can it be s bearing that has spun.

Friday, February 24th, 2012 AT 12:04 PM

• DrCranknWrench

It could be, howver I would first get under the truck and bang the catalytic converter with your hand or a rubber mallet or get an exhaust shop to do it. Your catyltic converter may have fallen apart internally. They rattle around when that happens.

Friday, February 24th, 2012 AT 2:07 PM
  • Kvn4

Before winter I got under and did bang on convertor got nothing and it seems to be coming from oil pan, it was running at time while doing so

Friday, February 24th, 2012 AT 3:22 PM
  • DrCranknWrench

It could be the windage tray. It helps to scavenge oil. If it is loose you do want to pull the pan and either replace the pan or get it welded into place. The only thing about welding the pan is that it is hard to keep it flat and it will have trouble sealing.

Friday, February 24th, 2012 AT 4:57 PM
  • Kvn4

Looking at a picture I saw in a book does it look like a cover for the bearing area. I planned on getting to the oil pan removal and was hoping that could be it but need to wait for warmer weather an see. Ill repost when I can get a chance to investagate it. Thanks k

Friday, February 24th, 2012 AT 5:51 PM
  • DrCranknWrench

Your welcome and let me know how it turns out.

Saturday, February 25th, 2012 AT 1:47 AM