V6 MUSTANG, IDLE PROBLEMS.

• Jmoore0180
  • 1999 FORD MUSTANG

Ive been having problems with my car not wanting to idle right, it seems to be fine untill the car warms up. When push clutch in, rmps go down to around 300, and makes a gulbing sound from air filter intake. Has anyone ever had this problem? Could this be an intake gasket problem?

Monday, November 29th, 2010 AT 3:40 AM

• Jacobandnickolas

I would start by checking for vacuum leaks. If there are none, check the idle air control motor.

Let me know what you find.

Monday, November 29th, 2010 AT 4:05 AM
  • Jmoore0180

The idle air control is good because when I unplug it the cars idles goes way down and almost dies. Ive checked for vacuum leaks also, by spraying carb cleaner all around, and nothing. Could a dirty intake calse this? Or maybe an exhaust leak? I really dont know where to go from here.

Tuesday, November 30th, 2010 AT 1:19 AM
  • Jacobandnickolas

Not and exhaust leak. Check the EGR to see if it is carboned as well as the intake where it mounts.

Let me know what you find.

Tuesday, November 30th, 2010 AT 12:40 PM
  • Jmoore0180

About three weeks ago, I had an EGR code come on, and I cleaned out all the lines and put a new EGR valve on, and the service engine soon light went off. But the problems are still here.

Tuesday, November 30th, 2010 AT 4:18 PM
  • Jacobandnickolas

The only other thing I can think of is maybe a vacuum leak at the intake. When it warms up, the steel expands and will seal.

Wednesday, December 1st, 2010 AT 11:14 PM
  • Jmoore0180

What would be the best way to try and find a vacuum leak? Ive sprayed carb cleaner all around, but found nothing.

Thursday, December 2nd, 2010 AT 3:13 AM
  • Jacobandnickolas

Actually, that is the best way to find one. Did you check around the intake itself?

Thursday, December 2nd, 2010 AT 1:08 PM
  • Jmoore0180

Yeah I just went out and sprayed all over and nothing. Do you think that the EGR system could still be carboned, some place I cant find?

Friday, December 3rd, 2010 AT 1:26 AM
  • Jacobandnickolas

No, it sounds like you took care of the EGR. The only other thing I can think of is a bad idle air control motor. If I recall, you checked it.

Friday, December 3rd, 2010 AT 1:22 PM