V6 , IDLE PROBLEMS.

1999 Ford Mustang

jmoore0180

November, 29, 2010 AT 3:40 AM

Ive been having problems with my car not wanting to idle right, it seems to be fine untill the car warms up. When push clutch in, rmps go down to around 300, and makes a gulbing sound from air filter intake. Has anyone ever had this problem? Could this be an intake gasket problem?

Jacobandnickolas

November, 29, 2010 AT 4:05 AM

I would start by checking for vacuum leaks. If there are none, check the idle air control motor.

Let me know what you find.

jmoore0180

November, 30, 2010 AT 1:19 AM

The idle air control is good because when I unplug it the cars idles goes way down and almost dies. Ive checked for vacuum leaks also, by spraying carb cleaner all around, and nothing. Could a dirty intake calse this? Or maybe an exhaust leak? I really dont know where to go from here.

Jacobandnickolas

November, 30, 2010 AT 12:40 PM

Not and exhaust leak. Check the EGR to see if it is carboned as well as the intake where it mounts.

Let me know what you find.

jmoore0180

November, 30, 2010 AT 4:18 PM

About three weeks ago, I had an EGR code come on, and I cleaned out all the lines and put a new EGR valve on, and the service engine soon light went off. But the problems are still here.

Jacobandnickolas

December, 1, 2010 AT 11:14 PM

The only other thing I can think of is maybe a vacuum leak at the intake. When it warms up, the steel expands and will seal.

jmoore0180

December, 2, 2010 AT 3:13 AM

What would be the best way to try and find a vacuum leak? Ive sprayed carb cleaner all around, but found nothing.

Jacobandnickolas

December, 2, 2010 AT 1:08 PM

Actually, that is the best way to find one. Did you check around the intake itself?

jmoore0180

December, 3, 2010 AT 1:26 AM

Yeah I just went out and sprayed all over and nothing. Do you think that the EGR system could still be carboned, some place I cant find?

Jacobandnickolas

December, 3, 2010 AT 1:22 PM

No, it sounds like you took care of the EGR. The only other thing I can think of is a bad idle air control motor. If I recall, you checked it.

Vacuum Leak Test and Repair - All Cars
Clean Idle Air Control Ford Super Duty 5.4L
Easily Clean Your Throttle Bore Like a Pro