3

1999 Ford Mustang

oksoonfan

3.8 motor has been running great till one day I started it up and blue smoke puffed from the tailpipe. Then, after acceleration from a stop the engine would ping like it was out of time or bad fuel. It also would puff some more smoke at the very point. I self diagnosed as a timing chain stretch so I replaced the timing componets, (including the tensioner) and the camshaft synchronizer. After of which there was no change in perfomance. Still pinging and smoking on acceleration. Also at idle if you open the throttle up gradually, engine hits what I would call a rev limiter. Getting frustrated with this issue because the engine ran good up to that first day. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks, Larry

Ok, are you sure the smoke is blue? Thats oil burning

start with fuel pressure check for the motor.

Backpressure test for the cat converters for the rpm topping out.

oksoonfan

I am sure about the blue smoke and am not as concerned about that as much as the sounds of detonation and loss of power all the sudden. This all happened overnight.

Ok, do the other checks and we go from there.

Were you beating on the motor prior to this issue?

oksoonfan

I can check the fuel pressure, but not cats. The only time I can think of beating on the motor was the light tapping of the balancer upon installation. Are you suggesting this engine has a knock sensor? Also my told me that the check engine light flashed repeatedly yesterday then went off. Any concerns there. Would that have set a code?

Yes, it would have saved a code.

oksoonfan

Ok. Just left O'Reilly auto parts to see if any codes were set. We found no codes. Engine ran good cold to store. Now that it is warmed up the ping is back and so is lack of performance when hard acceleration. Engine temp gauge seems to be higher than in the past, but not at all boiling. Going to pull radiator since it seems relatively simple. Is there a cleaner you would recommend soaking the inside with short of taking it to a radiator shop?

Take it to a shop.

By the way, a code reader cannot acess history codes. A real scan tool like a snap on, tech 2 or genesis will be able to retrieve it.

Serpentine Belt Replacement Chrysler
Serpentine Belt Replacement Mercedes Benz
Serpentine Belt Replacement
Serpentine Belt Replacement Chevrolet
Serpentine Belt Replacement Acura MDX
Serpentine Belt Replacement Chevrolet Tahoe
Serpentine Belt Replacement Ford Contour