SLIGHT CLICKING NOISE COMING FRONT RIGHT WHEEL

• gavin 01234
  • 1999 Ford Falcon

Ford falcon 99 au. I've checked all suspension, front axle parts and brakes it all seem in good order but the bushes on the stabiliser bar link bushes are a little worn but dont seem to be causing any problems. I must be missing something I have just been reading my gregorys falcon book as I am on new at this?

I have a slight clicking noise coming from the front right wheel and it get louder when I turn left and stops when I turn right it doesn't down hill.

Tuesday, September 20th, 2011 AT 4:11 PM

• promechanic
  • 551 posts

This is almost always caused by bad CV joints in the front axles. Sometimes you can't tell they are bad by looking at them. If the cv boots are torn or are leaking grease then they need to be replaced anyway.

Tuesday, September 20th, 2011 AT 7:01 PM
  • gavin 01234

Cheers mate 4 ansewering when u say cv joints. Is that the upper and lower control arms ball joints if so is it hard to replace my self. Thanks again

Wednesday, September 21st, 2011 AT 1:26 AM
  • promechanic
  • 551 posts

The CV joints are part of the front axle. When you look under your car you will see two axle shafts (long round tubes) that go from the transmission to the tires. These axle shafts have two joints on each one that are covered by a rubber boot. When they start going bad they make a clicking noise.
This is a pretty tough job and I don't think I would recommend trying it yourself unless you have a good set of tools and a good bit of mechanical experience.

Wednesday, September 21st, 2011 AT 2:34 AM
  • gavin 01234

Hey mate ive been back under the car and yeah I think thats is the problem it has a slight leak. But in my book its called the steering gear. It's where the rack joins to a rubber boot which is attached to a tie rod. I've been underneath and the steering gear when grabed it dont make any noise or clunking. Do think this could be the problem

Monday, September 26th, 2011 AT 1:03 AM
  • promechanic
  • 551 posts

The steering gear is different than the cv joints and axle. The axles go into the center of the rim of the tire.

Monday, September 26th, 2011 AT 2:37 AM
  • mhpautos

Au Falcons are rear wheel drive this is an Australian version, often if it is not a rotating constant noise it will be a sway bar "D" bush, very common, to check lower ball joint jack body up (not under control arm) and lift wheel with some effort you will see movement if ball joint is worn, uppers you and test in same way but, also you can often see movement if you rock wheel in and out as well, if it is a rotating type noise, check wheel bearings as well, let me know what you find.

Monday, September 26th, 2011 AT 9:43 PM