V-10 MOTOR , EXSHAUST PIPES GET RED HOT

1999 Ford F-450

jim watkins

December, 9, 2011 AT 6:34 AM

Engine lacked power on hills. The cat. Convertor was plugging up, so we had it replaced. It's better, but the manifolds and crossover pipe red hot (over 2000 degrees) and it show no codes.

Jacobandnickolas

December, 9, 2011 AT 6:42 AM

Check for additional blockage in muffler. If the converter started coming apart, it may have partially plugged the muffler

jim watkins

December, 9, 2011 AT 6:55 AM

The converter was melting, not coming apart. The whole exshaust has been checked (with a scope) and they say nothing is blocking it. They think it is running to lean. The pcm was remanufactored and that did not fix it.

Jacobandnickolas

December, 9, 2011 AT 7:04 AM

Have they checked O2 sensor function?

jim watkins

December, 9, 2011 AT 7:11 AM

They said that they have checked ever sensor, compression, etc. They said something about a timing problem. Over 50 man hours and they are stumped.

Jacobandnickolas

December, 9, 2011 AT 5:45 PM

Well, timing can cause the engine temp to go up. What did they say about timing?

jim watkins

December, 10, 2011 AT 4:39 AM

If the timing was wrong, wouldn't that show up with the computer scan test? Isn't the timing controlled by the pcm unit? What could be causing the timing to be off (wrong)?

Jacobandnickolas

December, 10, 2011 AT 5:56 AM

The true timing is via a timing chaine. The pcm won't pick up that problem, but will if the crank sensor causes a misfire as a result of timing.

I was thinking about your problem. Have you tried switching coils and injectors from cylinders that are know to be good with the bad ones to see if the miss chances cylinders? It is a cheap way to check.

jim watkins

December, 11, 2011 AT 5:10 AM

Hello again, have not tried switching coils or anything else. Have not noiced any cylinders missing or running rough, but it did ping/knock when you have the gas to the floor trying to get up a big hill. Also before I had the convertor changed I checked for codes even though the light was not on, it had a code for number one cylinder misfire. Do you think the true timing counld be off?

jim watkins

December, 13, 2011 AT 12:07 AM

Hello again, still need help. As far as coils and injectors go, the engine does not to have any missing cylinders. Everything seems to run ok. But on the highway, trying to get up the bigger hills, with the gas pedal to the floor and loosing speed the engine pings or knocks. Also before I took the camper to be serviced, I checked for any codes (even though the check engine light was not on) and it had a code for a number one cylinder misfire. Could that have anything to do with the true timing? Any thoughts?

jim watkins

December, 13, 2011 AT 12:38 AM

Do you think the timing could be off from when it was made? It only has 23,000 miles on it and I don't think it has ever driven to far at a time.I think it got worse as the converter plugged up (melted). Just a thought. THanks for any help, it's real puzzeler.

Catalytic Converter Replacement Volkswagen
Find Out How to Test Your Catalytic Converter
Fuel Filter Replacement Chevrolet Silverado
Fuel Filter Replacment BMW 525i