THE HEATER IN MY TRUCK IS DRAINING THE BATTERY BUT WHEN THE FUSE IS PULLED OUT IT NO LONGER DRAINS IT.

1999 Ford F-150

Jesica

January, 25, 2012 AT 2:44 AM

How can I fix this problem or find out what part of the heater and why it is draining the battery? Thanks so much for your help!

Jacobandnickolas

January, 25, 2012 AT 3:34 AM

Check to see if there is a draw from the blower motor. If there is, trace it to find where it is coming from.

Jesica

January, 25, 2012 AT 6:17 AM

OK, Can you tell me how to tell if there is a draw? And then how to trace it? I really appreciate it. I have worked on a lot of older vehicles but never something this new and its my sisters we really need to find out what the problem is to avoid the 85 an hour to have it looked at. Thanks so much! Jes

homer1967

January, 30, 2012 AT 12:20 AM

Parasitic draw testing requires at least a digital multimeter and an understanding of how and where to hook it up. Your best bet would be to pay a pro to do it because if you don't know what your doing and go poking and probing wires you can do more harm than good.

Jacobandnickolas

January, 30, 2012 AT 12:22 AM

It is easy to check for a draw. Go to our homepage under the DIY section and find how to check for an electrical draw.

Jesica

January, 30, 2012 AT 1:35 AM

Thank you for your help. I bought a multimeter and tested it found that the problem was coming from the wires leading to the alternator. I dont know much about wiring but thank god for living in a small town I took it over to a neighbors house who works for a ford dealer and he got in there and repaired the problem. I am used to a 79 chevy. You open the hood and oh, there it is. : ) Anyway we got it and my husband is very proud (he works out of state and usually takes care of these things) Thanks so much! Jesica

Jacobandnickolas

January, 30, 2012 AT 1:51 AM

Glad to help, Jessica. I still have my 78 Chevy Stepside. I redid it about 10 years ago and it has been in a garage since. Maybe this summer I will get it out and drive it again. Only 80K miles on it.

Battery Replacement Guide
Battery Replacement Ford Contour 1996-2000
Battery Replacement
Battery Replacement Honda Civic 2006-2011
Battery Replacement Ford Escape 2000-2006