ENGINE COOLING FAN RUNNING CONSTANTLY WHEN IGNITION IS ON OR ENGINE RUNNING (EVEN WHEN COLD)

1999 Ford Escort

pagjac

April, 28, 2012 AT 6:01 PM

I made the mistake of accidentally piercing through a wire bunch, which put in contact a black wire directly connected to the battery's positive post and a red wire going to the black box with big fuses in the left part of the engine compartment. I don't know what this red wires powers. Engine runs OK but fan keeps running all the time. I checked the wires, separated and isolated them with tape so they wouldn't touch anymore. I did that BEFORE starting the engine after the piercing incident. It did not have this problem before.

Jacobandnickolas

April, 28, 2012 AT 6:04 PM

You shorted something to power. Double check to see if you can find the wiring that was damaged. I feel power is being supplied to the relay or directly to the fan.

pagjac

April, 28, 2012 AT 6:37 PM

I did a more complete search and identified the wire that was shorted to power. It's a red wire that subdivise in three before going into the black fuse box. The three red wires go like this: one to a 10 amps fuse (left light) one to another 10 amps fuse (right light) and the black relay identified as "Head" (headlight I suppose. No other wire has been shorted.

Radiator Cooling Fan Replacement Chevrolet
Radiator Cooling Fan Replacement Chrysler PT