ANY IDEAS?99 DODGE RAM 2500 5

1999 Dodge Ram

Anonymous

January, 18, 2013 AT 1:40 AM

Any Ideas?
99 Dodge ram 2500 5.9l L6 webbed case 47re (48re) first rebuilt at 236k miles
Ok my truck has 292k mi on it now and has had one fluid change since the rebuild. Earlier this week I left it at work to fly to daytona for our cup car test for three days and the trans was shifting like a champ as it has been since the rebuild. When I came back I headed home and I noticed there was no TC lock up. Yet all other shifts were seemless firm and smooth. (Shift kit). Its my only vehicle so I Kept driving it. Next I did the PCM output shaft sensor ground update we always did on these trucks at the shop I used to work for when this happens. Didnt change a thing. Next I tried to manually induce TC lockup by fooling the PCM. Still nothing. Removed that and then it started to delay 1 2 upshift. Once it made the shift it shifted through all gears except tc lockup fine even 1 2 shifts until you shut the truck off then it would delay the shift again. Next I had a spare output shaft sens so I swapped it. Then it out of the blue when I was down the road turning around I put it in reverse it shuttered then nothing no movement in any gear. Fluid level is up all fuses and such are electronically sound. Shut the truck off for a min or so and I got movement back for ab 30ft. Then it went to a neutral state. I changed the output sens back and it kept doing it. Wash rinse repeat on shutting it off and starting and moving short distances until I limped it home. I dont have access to a scanner capable of looking at the trans data. Do you thing the filter screen is plugged or the check ball in the cooler line is messed up. It just seems like its starving for fluid. The fluid is still red and smells like atf4. Do you have any other ideas? Thanks Kevin

January, 18, 2013 AT 3:18 AM

Neither. I have replaced a lot of governor pressure sensors for shifting issues like your. It can be monitored on a scan tool from the engine data side.