AC Drain Issue

SOUTHERNVAGABOND
  • 1999 DODGE RAM
1999 Dodge 2500 Turbo Cummins Diesel. Under the dash inner fire wall I have water seeping from around the plastic where it should be draining outside. Some water is draining from the outside but more is seeping inside leaving a large amount of water. I have tried blowing 120 PSI constant air outside into the tube but very little comes out ( Water ) When I blow the air into the tube I can hear the air flowing free inside. I am at a loss. Is the tube cracked inside or loose?
Saturday, July 2nd, 2011 AT 3:59 AM

WRENCHTECH
If you are seeing a straight plastic tube sticking through the firewall, then you are missing the downspout and that is a problem. There is a little rubber nipple that directs the water down and that has to be there. Without it the water drips out the end of the pipe and then siphons back along the tube and back into the car. Get a rubber downspout back on it and it should stop coming into the cab.
Saturday, July 2nd, 2011 AT 10:12 AM
SOUTHERNVAGABOND
Do I have to take the inside sections apart to re-install it or can I just insert the new down spout tube from the outside fire wall? And yes, all I have is a black plastic nub sticking out of the fire wall about an eighth of an inch or so.
Saturday, July 2nd, 2011 AT 3:25 PM
WRENCHTECH
Nope, all you have to do is slip another rubber downspout on that nipple carrying the water out and down. People leave them off all gthe time and don't realize why they are there.
Saturday, July 2nd, 2011 AT 3:45 PM
SOUTHERNVAGABOND
So even on the other side (INSIDE CAB) where the Black plastic cover is, nothing will have to come out or off inside the cab. Good Deal ! I also noticed that around the nipple you were telling me about it is surrounded by a foam composite material ( INSULATION ). Now that you mention the bleed back, I am guessing the water is blowing right back into the cab and I need it to drain out of the nipple and follow the tube closer to the ground. Thank you for the simpliest of answers !
Saturday, July 2nd, 2011 AT 5:50 PM
WRENCHTECH
You can verify all this by pulling the carpet back and drying off the immediate area then run the truck until you see water and watch where it comes from. I'm betting it's coming from the drain itself. I have fixed many that have been to numerous shops before me.
Saturday, July 2nd, 2011 AT 6:45 PM
SOUTHERNVAGABOND
I have done all of this today and ran the truck to the store and back. Pretty good distance. The drain seems to be flowing really well now. The hose I put on is draining onto the ground. I felt under the dash board under the Cage housing for the AC and it is sweating pretty good. Is this normal or is it a new issue?
Saturday, July 2nd, 2011 AT 9:58 PM
WRENCHTECH
You really shouldn't be seeing and wetness on the outside of the case. If you are, that is usually an indication of water building up inside of the case. Just pull the carpet back and run the A/C. You will see any water getting to the carpet.
Saturday, July 2nd, 2011 AT 10:03 PM
SOUTHERNVAGABOND
None draining towards the carpet. It just seems to be sweating like a cup of coke sitting on the table as the ice melts. Kinda crude way to explain it. I can't win. I have been on the truck all day and thought I was ahead. Looked at the Exhaust Manifold and it is cracked right in the middle. Installing the hose as you suggested is working like gang busters. Running towards the ground. Just the under dash casing sweating now. May just be working hard in the 100 deg weather.
Saturday, July 2nd, 2011 AT 10:46 PM
WRENCHTECH
That could be because you have the doors open and it's very humid.
Saturday, July 2nd, 2011 AT 10:58 PM
SOUTHERNVAGABOND
That is why you are the expert and I am the broke guy trying to fix my truck. Lol. Thank you very much for every thing. (William L. Brown) Eightmile Alabama. Now if you can fix my IRS audit Tuesday.
Saturday, July 2nd, 2011 AT 11:07 PM