NO POWER EVEN WHEN HOOKED UP TO JUMPER CABLES. WHAT COULD I DO FOR THIS?

1999 Dodge Neon

Stud22

September, 21, 2012 AT 7:52 PM

There is no power at all. Sometimes it will start, but most of the time it shows no power. The lights wont even come on.

caradiodoc

September, 21, 2012 AT 7:59 PM

Suspect dirty, loose, or corroded battery cables. Do you have a digital voltmeter or a test light and know how to use 'em?

Stud22

September, 21, 2012 AT 9:33 PM

I played with the cables and now it has power. Now it just makes a click sound when I try to start it.

caradiodoc

September, 21, 2012 AT 10:25 PM

Stud22

September, 21, 2012 AT 11:15 PM

Yes.

September, 21, 2012 AT 11:37 PM

Disconnect the battery terminals, clean and retighten and give it a try.

caradiodoc

September, 22, 2012 AT 1:43 AM

If cleaning and tightening doesn't help, turn on the head lights so some current is trying to flow, then start right on the battery terminals and measure the voltage. You should find 12.6 volts if it's fully charged. Next, move one meter probe from the post to the cable clamp. You should have exactly the same voltage. Now move the second probe from its post to the cable clamp. Continue moving each probe down the line until you find the spot where the voltage is noticeably lower. That may be only a few tenths of a volt but that is significant. The point where the voltage is different is the point of the bad connection.

For the negative part of the circuit, follow the smaller black cable from the battery post to the body. That connection is notorious for rusty and loose connections and it is the one that will affect stuff inside the car.

For the positive part of the circuit, follow the smaller cable to the fuse box. Check the two nuts there to be sure they're tight, and there might be a large bolted-in fuse. Be sure that is tight too.

cobys68chevy

October, 13, 2012 AT 1:49 AM

THE END OF THE POSITIVE BATTERY CABLE TO THE FUSE BOX MAY NOT BE MAKING A GOOD CONNECTION, I HAD THIS PROBLEM, CLEAN AND REPLACE.

Serpentine Belt Replacement Chrysler
Engine Oil Change and Filter Honda Element
Oil Change and Filter Replacement Toyota
Fuel Pump Replacement Done Right
Oil Change and Filter Replacement - Ford F150
Engine Oil Change and Filter Acura TSX
Engine Oil Change and Filter